Neck injury I think

GardenWeasel

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Henry, TN
I have a hen who a few days ago when I went to let them out exhibitted the strangest neck movements. The best I can describe is like an exorcist twisting movement. All the others went outside but she couldn't seem to be able to go up the one step without falling over so I picked her up and put her down outside. Eventually whatever was making her do that eased up but she still carried her head at a weird angle. I watched her all day and she was active and able to forage and drink but come night when locking up she was sitting outside not able to get up the step. I tried to help her out and put her on the roost which sadly was not good because she fell off painfully. I have been bringing her out and putting her in on the floor of the coop for a few days now. My dilemma is if I am not able to watch all day and it starts to rain or she is hungry she will not be able to help herself. I thought I would give it a week to see if she recovers. The only thing I can think might have happened was a fall or some other accident, she is alert and healthy looking. I really don't know what to do. I try to run out and put her in if all the others go in the coop for some reason. Any suggestions or feedback would be welcome.

Um adult case of wary neck maybe? Look up that and Marek's disease. those are my two best guesses. Then again it could be anything from Marek's disease to ear problems
idunno.gif
Hope I gave you at least somewhere to start looking
hugs.gif

Looked up both and it doesn't seem to fit. When she is on level ground she seems better but still head cocked to the side. It is when she is attempting to go up a step or when the giant(me) is picking her up that she almost seems spastic and looks up at the sky. Any ideas? She was sitting outside again tonite after all were in. Sometimes her head kind of rolls around and she seems dizzy.

It may sound like wry neck. It does sound like something neuro. Last year, I did wake up to a 6 week old chick that did that.
It may be a head injury. Hard to tell.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom