Neck injury on 5 week old chick

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
So my chick who is 40 days old has suffered a neck injury last night , from a predator. I am still not sure what animal it was (Trying to figure it out on another thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-neck-injury-who-did-it-pics-attached.1496311/ )

How do you guys suggest I care for this wound, the blood and skin have dried out. This morning i did wipe it with warm water but apart from that the chick seems healthy enough and is going about its business.

Attachments

• neck1.PNG
    neck1.PNG
    984.4 KB · Views: 23
  • neck2.PNG
    neck2.PNG
    914.5 KB · Views: 5
I had a chick with an injury that looked just like that. With proper treatment, your chicken will recover! Here is her journey: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-old-chick-with-severe-neck-abrasion.1360038/

The biggest thing is keeping the wound moist so it heals quickly and comfortable. If you can't, or unwilling, to attempt a bandage, heavily covering the wound with an antibiotic ointment (without pain killer in it) will help keep it moist. If you'll check out my thread you'll see why I had to use a bandage on my chick. She's three and a half years old now.

Thanks a lot. I have bought luecilin antiseptic spray which I will be applying twice daily. Should I cut away the feathers surrounding the neck area ?

The biggest thing is keeping the wound moist so it heals quickly and comfortable. If you can't, or unwilling, to attempt a bandage, heavily covering the wound with an antibiotic ointment (without pain killer in it) will help keep it moist. If you'll check out my thread you'll see why I had to use a bandage on my chick. She's three and a half years old now.

Thanks for your link. I don't think we can get anitbiotic ointment in the UK. Would vaseline work OK as a protective layer to keep it moist ?

I cannot find what active ingredients are in the Luecillin. If you can get chlorhexidene an antiseptic also found in some periodontal mouthwashes, that can be good to use. Iodine plus vaseline would also work.

The ingredients on the bottle are:
Water(H2O), Hypochlorous Acid, Sodium Salt (HOCL), Sodium Chloride(NaCl)

I have sprayed the wound again this morning, it seems to be healing and the red blood stains have disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom