Neck Injury- please help

Avanb

Hatching
Aug 10, 2020
One of our dogs got one of the chickens last weekend (additional fencing has already bee put up) and she lost most of the skin on her head. After reading some stuff on here we have been cleaning it out and putting plain neosporin on it every day but now it seems to be blistering. Is this normal? What else can I do for her? She is being kept separate from the rest indoors so we can keep an eye on her as this is our first time having chickens.

Attachments

• 8ACE553F-1A3D-4783-B3EA-54BAF5666696.jpeg
    8ACE553F-1A3D-4783-B3EA-54BAF5666696.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 10
It looks bad but it's probably just healing. I remember peeling the skin off my knee as a teenager and it pretty much looked as nasty as that when it was healing.
You're doing a great job, btw.

I forgot to ask: is she acting normal? Eating and drinking ok? I don't think it's infected since you are putting Neosporin on it.

I forgot to ask: is she acting normal? Eating and drinking ok? I don't think it's infected since you are putting Neosporin on it.
Yes, shes eating and drinking. We have her inside away from the rest so I think she’s lonely but she’s getting plenty of attention from us. Should I put one of the others with her? I’m worried about her getting picked on

Can you put her in a pen or cage where she can see and interact with the other birds but they can't peck on her?

I personally would leave her in the house alone to heal up a bit. Animals will often find somewhere to hide alone when they are unwell. Being unwell can attract unwanted attention.

Back
Top Bottom