neck injury - torn crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmrGirl, Aug 3, 2010.

1. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    My duck was attacked by a preditor and while I can treat his other injuries I think he may have a torn crop. It's hard to tell by the way the skin is hanging... he won't be able to get fluids down if this is the case, right? I don't know how to be sure and I'd hate for him to dehydrate and/or starve to death while I've got him patched up. Does anyone have advice?

2. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    I dont know the answer but hopefully someone will chime in for you. Good luck. bump.

3. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks, foxinachickenhouse.

The little guy was dead when I got home from work today. Looks like his flock-mates were pecking at him. I thought that he would be fine because they all got along well overnight. But if it really was a torn crop he was probably really dehydrated... poor little guy. I hate to think I made him suffer even more.

This hawk I have is very partial to Khaki Campbells and Harlequin ducks. Never bothers the big bunch of chickens I have. I guess that's a good thing but it really makes me wonder.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by