Neck injury

redranger209

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 17, 2016
Oakdale, CA
D293104C-DE1B-4A41-8872-8F31AF79688F.jpeg A4E8750F-BB51-40AE-BD75-70999E12733C.jpeg So I went outside to check on my birds, and my chick, honey, had a mangled neck! She’s moving and talking, she seems ok, but bleeding neck feathers are hanging, but she isn’t freaked out. The only predators near me are dogs, (not one) cats, and hawks. Help!

I’m relatively new to chickens but from what’ve read from other threads I would recommend cleaning out with hydgeron peroxcide and then neosplorin. Once again not an expert. Hope she recovers

How is she acting? Is she in shock? Can she stand and walk? Is the neck twisted down or can she move it normally?

Clean it with Vetericyn, saline, weakend betadine, or chlorhexidene and water. Dry, then apply plain triple antibiotic/ neosporin ointment twice a day. It may heal well if no blood vessels or internal damage has been done.

Do not use hydrogen peroxide. That is caustic to tissue. Sterile normal saline solution should be used to flush the wound, and then either apply: bacitracin, triple antibiotic or MediHoney. I've not used the latter but it was recommended by a Doc. friend of mine, and she has used it to heal persistent wounds in humans that did not respond to conventional treatment. She says it can be found at Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom