Neck is crooked and hen seems off balance.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kcbilly, Jan 12, 2011.

1. kcbilly

kcbilly New Egg

Jan 12, 2011
    I have a Barred Rock, just under 2 years old. A couple of days ago, she was very off balance and would fall over. I also noticed that her neck seemed crooked. She was holding her head over to the side. When walking, she would sometimes have to hold her wing out to keep herself up.

No other birds are exhibiting these symptoms. Poop looks normal.

They eat layer feed and get scratch grains in the evening during the colder weather.

The first day that I saw her behaving this way, I immediately brought her inside. She slept on her side and would not stand. I had to help her hold her head in order for her to eat and drink. She can now eat and drink on her own, but is still pretty lopsided. She is now sleeping with her head tucked under - a little more normal. But, she is still unsteady on her feet although she will stand up, walk, etc.

I have tried to look up everything under the sun and cannot find an answer that seems to fit. I would like to treat her on my own as she did seem to improve some but seems to have hit a plateau.

I am not aware of any injuries. She does seem much more calm than she does when she is outside. I can handle her easily, she will sit on my lap, sleeps more than normal.

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Sounds like wry neck. Usually the result of a head injury or nutritional deficiency. What are you feeding? You might want to try giving her a few drops of polyvisol orally daily and see if that helps.

3. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    Quote:I would have to agree w/ LilPeeps.... Wry Neck. After a few days of the Polyvisol drops, she sould be feeling better. Let us kow if you try this and she's still having problems.

4. kcbilly

kcbilly New Egg

Jan 12, 2011
    Would that be the polyvisol without iron as I have seen mentioned in other posts? I am feeding the Dumor layer crumbles from TSC along with scratch grains in the evening. Thanks for the advice, I will pick some up today and let you know how it goes.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    Yup it would be the polyvisol without iron. Please keep us updated. I hope your hen gets better! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by