Neck problem in three weeks old silkie chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emmyn74, May 20, 2019.

1. emmyn74

emmyn74 Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Spencer Indiana
    I have one chick out of all my silkies that will not hold it's head up...it was hatched by one of my hens and I just recently moved it in w my incubator hatched chicks so they could all be together in a group....but this one will only hold it's head down...it doesn't feel like there is anything wrong w it's neck...I haven't had one do this before...I have them on medicated chick starter and have been giving them Avia charge 2000 in their water to drink....it's about three weeks old...none of the other chi Screenshot_20190520-222842.png cks i have hatched have had anything like this wrong w them.

2. emmyn74

emmyn74 Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Spencer Indiana
    Screenshot_20190520-223120.png

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is possibly wry neck or torticolis. Vitamins including thiamine (B1) and E are important to try. Make sure it can get enough water and food, and you can wet a small amount of food daily, and add a little egg yolk to it for selenium. Wry neck can be genetic, be a result of vitamin deficiency or head injury, and seen in older birds with infectious diseases due to brain inflammation.

EggSighted4Life likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

5. emmyn74

emmyn74 Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Spencer Indiana
    Do you know if the avia charge has any of those vitamins in it? This is the only list I can find of ingredients...I just don't want to give them too much of something if they are already getting it...

Seaweeds, Hydrolzyed Fish Proteins & Oils, Plant Derived Enzymes, Lactobacillus acidophilusFermentation Extract, Citric Acid, Aspergillus nigerFermentation Extract, Aloe Vera, Bacillus subtillusFermentation Extract, and Garlic.

6. emmyn74

emmyn74 Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Spencer Indiana
    EggSighted4Life likes this.
  7. emmyn74

emmyn74 Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Spencer Indiana
    Looks like this.. Screenshot_20190520-225048.png

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

To me.. that supplement is a probiotic at best... does it have a guaranteed analysis? That will make it more clear than the ingredients.

In general no supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

That feed is good... but I have discovered sometimes an individual still needs help EVEN though I KNOW I don't diminish nutrition to far with treats and have extra feeders to avoid bullying. As noted inn one of my links it can be a genetic weakness. I personal gripe the feed I mentioned, so had to ask... glad for that company it isn't them!

The good news is... your chick is too young for it to be symptom of Marek's!

Most vitamins cannot be overdosed (B, C)... Some like E can and minerals... but really ya gotta try. If you want stop your avia 2000 supplement for now and pursue treatment, would be my suggestion. :fl

emmyn74 likes this.
  9. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I add Nutri-Drench to my chick waterers for the first couple weeks. As previously mentioned, you can get one or two that seem to need a bit extra of one or more nutrients than the feed provides. Many have used the Nutri-Drench, or individual vitamin e, and selenium vitamins to fix wry neck.

10. emmyn74

emmyn74 Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Spencer Indiana
    I do have nutri drench..I did give it to my chicks that hatched from the incubator...I did NOT give it to the chicks w the hen...I will start giving that one some of it a few times a day and see if there is any improvement...hoping.. and with the Avia charge...I was just giving that to them as an extra boost bc it is supposed to help boost their immune system it says..I did not know the 10 day thing...it said on the container that it can be given daily..but it hasn't even been 10 days yet so I'm okay on it.. I will switch over to nutri drench tomorrow...other than the neck issue the chick seems completely fine...it just looks odd and I'm sure will probably get worse if it doesn't get fixed now.

getaclue likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: