Neck stretching?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jose21, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Jose21

Jose21 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    One of my 4 week old "hens" stretched its neck up today in a sort of silent crowing action. Was this a crow or just a stretch do you think?
    Helen

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like it's practicing crowing. They stand really stiff, stretch their necks, strain really hard and sometimes a squeaky sound comes out.

3. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Mine have been stretching their necks like that and nothing comes out...i'm sure they aren't roo's. I was told they r adjusting their crops when they do that?? [​IMG]

4. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I was just going to ask about something that may be what you are talking about. Sometimes I notice one of my girls just opening her beak-it almost looks like a person would do when trying to relieve pressure in the ears-like when landing after a flight. I was wondering if I should be worried?

5. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Maybe some1 with more chicken knowledge can help us?? [​IMG]

6. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    They often stretch like that if they've eaten too much food or it's dry — they're trying to get it down the gullet. [​IMG]

Sometimes I suppose it could be another issue like gapeworm or a respiratory condition, as affected birds may stretch and gape to take a breath. But I would think those would be rare conclusions to draw...

All my birds do this when they've just gorged, it's usually nothing. [​IMG]

7. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:Thanks Erica! I was hoping that's all it was! Since u said that I do normally notice mine doing in the evening after they have eaten! [​IMG] Silly chickens...if they could talk it would just make things soooooo muh easier!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by