Neck twisting in 3 1/2 month old

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sheeshshe, Oct 15, 2013.

1. sheeshshe

sheeshshe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009

The rooster keeps charging her and the others. do you think he has damaged her and now she keeps twisting her head? or do you think something else is going on here? I have vitamins in their water for the past week bc of of my newly hatched chicks was twisting its neck and I thought it might be the start of wry neck. what can I do for this poor girl?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wry neck can be a symptom of head injury, vitamin deficiency, or diseases such as Mareks disease. Treat ment is isolation for peace and quiet, and vitamins. The mineral selenium is also beneficial, but needs to be given in tiny amounts. Some vitamin E will have the selenium already included. The main vitamins to use are B1 (thiamine), E, and selenium. In severe cases prednisone may be used. Here are 2 good links to read: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html and
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would try to let them out of the run so she can get away from him. If he is being rough on the hens, he might need to be separated for a few hours a day to let them have some peace. If she is pretty bad, she needs to be separated.

4. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    he seems to only bother them first thing when I let them into the run. after that he seems to calm down,.
    '
    now I am worried about mareks. because she also is stumbling and has a hard time walking at times. :( I will separate her. there is nothing we can do for mareks, right? I sure hope it isn't that.

if it were a head injury, is it anything that can be recovered from you think? or are most head injuries permanent damage?

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I've had two of my own birds come down with wry neck and both fully recover. My birds neck was twisted all the way under her body. She couldn't walkforward and would do flips. Now she is perfectly healthy Thank God. here is what I did to help her recover. I gave vitamin e capsules and vitamin b I also gave selenium in very small amount to help absorb the vitamin e then I also have polyvisol children's vitamin without iron and predoinsone tablets. You can find
    the exact doses at the web site brown egg blue egg. com and look up crook neck. It will give dosing scedules and exact doses. Its a slow process and it takes about a month for recovery so don't give up. Hope this helps best wishes

6. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    thank you so much, I hope it is only wry neck and nothing else. I hope she can recover! I will try getting her some vitamins in hopes that it helps her.

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Follow the regiment and she should recover. Don't give up hope. With this recovery IS slow about a full month but she should be back to normal after that. With my girls you can't even tell anything was wrong at all and my poor milly had it so bad she couldn't walk and I had to hand feed and water her for a month. The regiment I followed was vitaminE selenium vitaminB polyvisol without iron and predisone. You can do the treatment without the predinsone if you can't find it but I used it for both my birds. But its not necessary for the treatment to work. Main thing is have patience. I know I thought will my birds ever heal? But they surely did. But like I said its slow but don't worry in about a month with continous treatment she will get better. Now I put a vitamin A D and E mix once a month in the water to prevent it from happening again. I was giving vitamins but not E. I think the lack of E caused the wry neck in my girls. I hope this helps and if you have ANY questions feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to help. Its been about four months since my girls got wry neck. The treatment is pretty fresh in my mind.

8. sheeshshe

May 6, 2009
    I'm just not sure where to get selenium? I've never seen it before.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  10. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I found it at rite aid by itself. Be careful with the dosing as selenium can be toxic but it is essential for the absorbtion of the vitamin E. I have given in pill form just the dust a very small amount. I also found selenium and e mixture in a tube for baby goats and I give a very small amount every so often to prevent the wry neck from reoccurring. You can also find vitamin e that goes into the water. First state vet carries this. I did capsules along with the e in the water. I also used vitamin B. The method I used is the Alan stanford method for wry neck. I followed Alan stanfords recommendations. It took a month but now you wouldn't know she ever had wry neck. Keep your patience and don't loose hope. you should have seen my girls. They had such a severe case they couldn't even walk!! I'm sure your bird will be better.its a slow process.i wish you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by