1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Neck wound on 3 mo old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1stepcloser, Oct 18, 2009.

1. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Today while I was outside with my babies i noticed one had a gaping neck wound on the back of her neck. I had to have noticed it seconds after it happened because there was hardly any bloood, zero dirt, etc. She never screamed or ran, I am thinking she had to have snagged herself on an exposed nail or something? The big chickens and duck were no where near her. [​IMG] The chick seemed oblivious and was just walking/pecking w/her sisters. I took her inside, cleaned it with a peroxide wash and then is when I noticed the extent. It is TORN skin so she has an open patch the size of a quarter. I have her separated from everyone else in a kennel with lots of straw and a light for heat. She is still eating/drinking like nothing is wrong. Is there anything else I should be doing?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You're doing fine.

A dab of Neosporin WITHOUT idocaine, twice a day ought to do it. And remove all nails, screws, pieces of loose wire from the run. Keep her nearby but separated until she heals.

3. 1stepcloser

1stepcloser Poultry In Motion

Sep 16, 2009
    Dover, TN
    Phew. Glad I am not blowing it. I can't find an exposed nail anywhere but that is the only explanation I can come up with. [​IMG]

4. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    I think I know what my hen has it's called Wryneck. Has anyone had this? She twists her neck and head to the left, turns in circles to the left.

I looked it up online and all the symptoms are there. I don't understand WHAT CAUSES THIS. Does anyone have info on why it occurs and if it will go away. I don't have money to run to the vet with this so she is pretty much on her own.

I give her daily neck massages and she is eatting seems ok in that respect. But I know this thing with her neck is wrong. Please help with info if possible.
    Thanks so much
    Miss Kitty [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by