aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
GRAPHIC PHOTOS BELOW - Don't look if easily offended.

Bird was about 2 1/2 years old, she had laid some soft/thin shells a month or so go, thought she was molting. Then one day noticed an unusually dirty butt so took a closer look to find her keel very prominent and her abdomen was swollen with what felt like fluid - ascites. Cleaned her up and isolated, but she wouldn't eat much, drinking lots of water, so stools were mostly water and urates. She could stand and move around OK but slowly, no respiratory or any other symptoms, just pretty inactive.

I'm not one to medicate without definite diagnosis and I certainly could not afford a vet visit even if an avian vet were available locally. I could have drained her belly but know that's just a symptom so instead of prolonging the inevitable I euthanized her and opened her up to see what I could see.

I first drained the abdominal fluid into a tray then a 24 oz jar, which was most of it. I did not do a full necrospy by pulling out all the internal organs and then opening them up too, but did get a pretty good look at heart, liver and lungs...which all looked ok to me with my limited experience in butchering a dozen or two birds in the past. The 'bumps' that looked to be in the walls of oviduct and intestines were definitely not normal. The intestines were stiff and tightened together, couldn't stretch them out.

Not sure if these 'bumps' are cancer, infection, parasite, lesions from some disease or what. Am doing some searching here and googling but haven't found anything yet. So if anyone knows what they are or a resource that will ID them, I would appreciate you chiming in here.

Oh, and did not want to use the usual cone and jugular slit I use to kill when harvesting meat so researched Cervical Dislocation and finally, finally found a good example that leaves the head on the body. It worked just like in this video at 1:00 minute in.

Thanks for posting. Sorry for your loss. I remember reading where Mareks tumors can cause bumps just about anywhere throughout the body. I would have thought her liver might have looked odd, spotted or discolored. Here are some Cornell pictures of Mareks disease showing tumors on the walls of intestines and ovary. I also looked for avian leukosis which can be similar to Mareks, but didn't find anything. I don't know if either of those could have been a problem with your hen.

MD-103A%20x750.jpg

intestines-Mareks disease

MD-101A%20x750.jpg

intestines

MD-069A%20x750.jpg

ovary with Mareks disease

MD-068A%20x750.jpg

ovary

Thanks Eggcessive.
Mareks does look like a possibility and it had been in the mix of the diseases I considered it might be, but with no other symptoms I wasn't sure.
One of our states poultry experts posited at a chicken club meeting that most chickens have Mareks already.
Diagnosis could not be confirmed without lab work.

Sorry to hear about your girl Aart.

I appreciate you sharing the photos and information.

Will let you know if I run across anything else besides what Kim has provided.

Was able to have a poultry pathologist review photos, they also suggested Mareks or Leukosis.
More info when I get it.....tho nothing will be able to be confirmed due to lack of physical lab testing.
Want to try to line up that service in case I find it in another bird when I cull for meat later this fall.

It does seem from the literature from many university and vet poultry sites say Mareks is almost everywhere in the environment. Many chickens seem immune to the virus, and vaccination programs since the 1950's have helped to control it, although there are many strains of the virus due to it's continually changing.

Back
Top Bottom