Necropsy help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sa222, Nov 14, 2016.

1. sa222

sa222 New Egg

Nov 14, 2016
    Hi all. One of my chickens died and I would like to send it out for necropsy. I'm in NY and called the Animal Health Diagnostic Center in Ithaca. They told me that I need to go through a vet for them to do the necropsy.

We've never had a vet for the chickens.

Is there any other way?

Thank you so much in advance.

Sas

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. That should not be the case in most states. Google "chicken necropsy" and look for one of the first few links for Metzger Farms. They have a list of poultry labs. Another good site is State Poultry Health Officials. Refrigerate the body in plastic, and it should be personally taken or shipped on ice packs to the state vet vet or poultry lab. I hope this helps, but if not keep posting back here.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Sorry for your loss. Maybe try calling the state vet and see if they have any suggestions.
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

-Kathy

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    IT IS in Kentucky... They said you had to go thru a vet for a necropsy etc... I called all places listed in that link....
    I argued with them but it did no good VET ONLY sending or taking in PERIOD
    Which I told them was riduculous

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    In most states, we can deal with the state dept. of agriculture directly. Going through a local vet to get a necropsy may be much more expensive. Hopefully, this isn't becoming more common due to changing laws. Hopefully, others here on BYC will give their own experiences.

7. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    just called vet said it will be over $100.... We will take Pinkie Lee in tomorrow she is on ice now.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully you will get an answer. The earlier the necropsy is done, the better the conditions. Let us know if you get results.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by