Necropsy of my Lav. Orp. whom I found dead this A.M. 12/14/14

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DaveOmak, Dec 14, 2014.

1. DaveOmak

DaveOmak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    She was about 7 months old.... 4 months in my flock.. All were purchased at the same time... And about the same age.. Roo might be 8-9 months old.... Seemed healthy yesterday... Saw a full crop.... maybe the roo was doing his thing and hurt her really bad.... He's HUGE and she was smaller the Wyandotte..

Her crop was EMPTY... no food in her esophagus... Everything smelled normal when I cut her open.... Smelled just like a dove, grouse, duck or goose... Liver looked perfect... so did the heart, lungs, spleen and gizzard... Gizzard was full.... had grit in it an plenty of food... No eggs in "waiting"... she hadn't laid any eggs yet... although I have had 2 thin shelled (small) eggs on the poop board the last month or so... don't know who laid those... She was skinny, really not meaty... but then I have no idea how much meat a laying hen should have on her... Sooooo, by now you know just how much I don't know.... but still trying to learn...

The yellow in the gizzard "could" be from the sweet corn I gave them yesterday... corn off the cob we had in the freezer...

NOTE.. edit.... I didn't find much blood in her...

If someone has anything to share that could provide some pertinent info as to the cause of death, that would be helpful...

...Rooster and Wyandotte..
    [​IMG]

.. Operatory... ... Bird Dunk hot and soapy water.. .Liver, Lungs, heart and other stuff.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

....spleen with gizzard visible.... ..gizzard... ..gizzard cut open ...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

...Checking for trauma.....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What did the intestines look like? Did you cute them open and look for worms?

-Kathy

3. DaveOmak

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    Intestines were small in diameter.... didn't think to cut them open.... There's a good picture of them if you can tell anything from that....

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    Did she have a broken neck? She might've flown into a wall or the ceiling.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She was skinny, so probably not an injury. [​IMG]

-Kathy

7. DaveOmak

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    I checked all the vertebrae in the neck and couldn't find a break, as far as I could tell...

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @DaveOmak , how thin was she?

-Kathy

9. DaveOmak

May 18, 2013
    Omak, Washington
    My Coop
    Breast meat was maybe 3/4" thick at it's thickest... tapered down to nothing at the breast bone.... I mean nothing... Breast bone was right there... no meat adjoining it...

Maybe she was just being bullied.... when I saw here trying to eat, a big red sagitta would run over to the feeder and she would leave... The sagitta hens are about 8#'s...... this pic is a few months old... the Orp is in the back row right side... barely see here behing the dotte...

[​IMG]

10. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Everything looks pretty good to me, but I would take her empty crop and skinniness as a big clue. I also like to cut open the guts and ceca lengthwise to look for hemorrhages and worms. Same for the trachea.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by