Necropsy photos warning graphic help me figure out what is going on?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Colorado Chick, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Colorado Chick

Colorado Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Hi all,
    my hen had water belly for a few days, and i did all the home remedies i could think of to help her. But last night she started gurgling as she breathed. So i asked my husband to dispatch her. This morning i did the necropsy, and i tried to do my best with. I did it to figure out what was going on with her, and to learn to see if it is something that i can prevent in my other hens. All my other hens are fine, by the way :) but i wanted to post pictures to see if you guys had any ideas what is going on. I know the nodules are a form of intestinal cancer, but what, im not sure. Then there also may be something that you guys see that i dont. thanks for looking. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Awesome photos!!!

Sorry, no help here.

3. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014
    ha ha, no worries

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I hope others who do necropsies will see this and chime in. Casportpony has a lot of experience.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

@casportpony

6. Colorado Chick

Sep 27, 2014

Me too

7. AcornAcres

AcornAcres Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    I'm VERY impressed with your photos. Cancer is my gut reaction. Hopefully someone here knows for sure.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There are numerous pictures online of tumors caused by avian leukosis and Mareks disease that may be similar with some of the ones you are seeing. I'm not that familiar with those except from reading other's posts and looking at photos.

9. zephyricle

zephyricle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    California
    I'm posting for @QueenMisha :

That's crazy. Definitely some kind of cancerous/tumorous condition. I do think I'm seeing light spotting on the liver so it could definitely be something like lymphoid leukosis, though I wouldn't say that for sure unless other birds are having issues. Mayyyyybe Marek's, but I've never seen Marek's cause that bad of condition. Marek's tumors are usually larger and fewer. Then again, it could just be regualar, if quite severe cancer.

10. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I'm so sorry about your hen. [​IMG] That really sucks.

You did an outstanding job with nice, clear pictures. She had a lot going on there.

I'm not sure why, but the heart keeps catching my attention. I realize the clot of blood is from putting her down. I could be totally off in left field there.
    The liver looks taxed to me...but of I'm sure her whole body's been taxed with her system dealing with this. My necropsy experience is not with chickens.
    I'm interested to hear from those who are experienced with chicken necropsies as well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by