Necropsy Picture and Cause of Death?

Peep-Chicken

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
My Swedish Flower Hen, Reid has been on and off sick for a year. She would stop eating, and be lethargic. I’d tube feed her for a few days and then she’d be fine. That only happened a couple times last year. This year, it was “well Reid is sick again” it happened so often. I tried treating her for everything. Nothing seem to work. I chalked it down to her being so inbred it was just an issue. She died yesterday right in front of me.

I attempted a necropsy and was pretty upset, and it was pouring rain, so I only got one picture. She didn’t have much fat. The outer part of her liver was black. There was also a lot of yellow fluid in her abdomen. Does that mean anything to what was wrong with her?

Attachments

• 046C7D95-FD0C-495A-9CA2-1582A249EAE8.jpeg
    046C7D95-FD0C-495A-9CA2-1582A249EAE8.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 10
So sorry for your loss. I cannot say if that might be internal laying or what, but the yellow fluid indicates ascites (water belly) from liver disease. Of course the black liver indicates some type of liver disorder. Too bad there were not more pictures @casportpony , and many others have done many necropsies and may be more helpful.

If her liver was diseased in some way it may have been excreting the yellow fluid in her belly. I think that’s called ascites (the condition). But it’s not straightforward to say that’s what killed her.

My condolences. Swedish hens are so beautiful.

So sorry for your loss. I cannot say if that might be internal laying or what, but the yellow fluid indicates ascites (water belly) from liver disease. Of course the black liver indicates some type of liver disorder. Too bad there were not more pictures @casportpony , and many others have done many necropsies and may be more helpful.

Thanks for the replies. I really needed a helper because it just wasn’t easy for me to take gloves on and off for pictures.

Reid’s issues were just puzzling especially since they had been ongoing for a year.

Back
Top Bottom