Necropsy results back—no answers...perhaps salt toxicity?

missmarans1719

In the Brooder
May 28, 2019
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/could-this-be-mareks.1313121/#post-21408610

See my last thread for the beginning. Necropsy came back today. What I suspected was Avian Encephalomyelitis or Marek’s is not. It is actually inconclusive as to what caused their symptoms. I culled the chicks so they didn’t die on their own, but I’ve had one die since then from paralysis....and 2 more become paralyzed. They diagnosed it as multiple organ inflammation....but what caused that? They had encephalitis, meningitis, mineralization in kidneys....all kinds of stuff. Nothing definitive. No bacteriological findings.

So my next question is—would the addition of water softener cause this? That’s the only thing we did different. I housed all sorts of unrelated chicks (some of my own, some purchased from different breeders) from Dec-May in the same conditions. We added a bag of salt (softener) at the end of March, and it seems like we started having random deaths at the end of April. There was no paralysis until mid May. A few chicks died after a week or two with no noticeable symptoms, and then all of a sudden paralysis started.

It’s either that or something fungal I would think...because it was only ones in a specific brooder. It’s wood, and parts are discolored from use.

Food has been from different bags, new and not moldy. I’ll call the state vet tomorrow but just wondering if anybody has ever had a salt toxicity?

1727A4C7-8060-4D23-B850-D63ECBA166EA.jpeg
004E86A2-1107-4390-AE0C-C960EF9C8738.jpeg
E5FF9BE4-CBCF-4964-873A-5CA3EACD16BC.jpeg
3E1E27B2-E673-4D4E-87C4-96138D727D42.jpeg

The way I’m reading this, the pathologist can find no concrete reason for death.

That’s my understanding as well. We culled them but they were in their way out. Since then, I’ve had one other show symptoms one night, 24 hours later I must’ve spooked it and gave it a heart attack when I checked on it because it just flopped around and died within minutes.

Two more are paralyzed in the ICU brooder right now. I’m not seeing signs of improvement so I may have to cull them as well. I gave everybody bottled water tonight incase it happens to be salt. I do notice that signs improve after dosing poly vi sol....but could a vitamin deficiency cause that? They’re given Purina so I wouldn’t expect a deficiency.

Again, maybe fungal? Seems like it happens to the ones that were all in a particular brooder together.

I can’t find the common denominator

That’s my understanding as well. We culled them but they were in their way out. Since then, I’ve had one other show symptoms one night, 24 hours later I must’ve spooked it and gave it a heart attack when I checked on it because it just flopped around and died within minutes.

Two more are paralyzed in the ICU brooder right now. I’m not seeing signs of improvement so I may have to cull them as well. I gave everybody bottled water tonight incase it happens to be salt. I do notice that signs improve after dosing poly vi sol....but could a vitamin deficiency cause that? They’re given Purina so I wouldn’t expect a deficiency.

Again, maybe fungal? Seems like it happens to the ones that were all in a particular brooder together.

I can’t find the common denominator
Try switching feed, from Purina to Nutrena.

So sorry about your chooms.. how do you send in a bird for texting? I have one on the brink, and she has been sick Soo long:(

Thank you ☺️
The way we do it is through our vet’s office. We cull and then take them immediately, or refrigerate if it’s going to be a day or so. They say not to freeze. They do all of the packing to send off to the state. The state vet told me when it’s in question they have to send them off for further testing by a board certified pathologist to look for microscopic lesions, so I’m not sure where they went after that. VA started charging $45 in April but it used to be free. I’m sure some states are still free. I don’t know the exact procedure for packing a deceased bird so I’m sorry I can’t be more helpful. Do you have a livestock vet in your area?

Back
Top Bottom