**Necropsy results** Georgie is orange. Any ideas? Jaundice?

Well, she still hasn't any other symptoms to speak of but isn't eating a bit. I'm so sorry for her.

I'm thinking she never TRULY regained her health after the pelvis break, so perhaps she did get a virus in her weakness at that point and is just failing. So many viruses attack internal organs it's hard to say!

Necropsies around here cost a fortune, according to my vet, but I'm thinking about calling the K-State poultry department to see. She's just sitting there, and will talk if I go to her. It's tragic.

I'm thinking of force-feeding her, but feel that she's so ill, what if that's just mean at this point, and doesn't help? I'm a big baby, can anyone tell?

I'm off to check on her again...she's out in the hospital tractor. Her pals are hanging out near her- like they don't want to leave her alone.

I have not read all of the posts here. In your first post, you said she broke her pelvis. This may be preventing her from laying any eggs. She may have internal problems because of this. She maybe laying internally and the egg or eggs have broken inside. This could cause a jaundiced condition.
sad.png

I just looked at the website for the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine and it says they will perform a Gross Routine Necropsy for free. I don't know what tests they will perform during the necropsy but if they suspect something like TB I'm sure they would run the test. It looks like a vet has to submit the animal though. Maybe that is why it is expensive. Here is the link:
http://www.vet.k-state.edu/depts/dmp/service/diagfeeschedule/DiagFeeSchedule.aspx?Category=Necropsy

Does your vet think blood work could reveal the source of this anomaly, or at least its impacts?
I hope she'll be alright.
fl.gif

Not eating at all is very worrisome/serious.
sad.png
hugs.gif

JJ

Last edited:
Quote:
She hasn't resumed production, and the vet doesn't think she necessarily will. I can feel that she hasn't anything in her oviduct.

ETA: 'feel' not 'eel.'

Last edited:
Quote:
Vet hasn't seen this particular issue, because I've really spent every last cent I can on her- I've been unemployed all year and I've had her to the vet many times due to the pelvis. She's been well and with her flock since May/June, I think, and vet says bloodwork would be $150+.

I'm glad to see that she was out of the coop for a little bit today, and she put herself to bed in a nest box last night. She's back in the nestbox now- kicked out the golf balls, so it's not because she feels like laying! I saw her eat a bit of grape yesterday- but just a bit. I'm trying to resolve myself for the worst- I think she's just not looking like she'll make it and I don't know what to try.

I thought about doing Ivomec for the heck of it, of shooting her up with Tylan...last ditch sort of desperation. It's not as though it will hurt her at this point, but it seems so random.

I dont' know if this will help or not.... but I can say this:

We had a bird from out 4h that presented EXACTLY like that... evene the same kind of bird...I treated the bird both externally and internally for parasite and her color returned to normal... A few weeks later mites were found in the coup and the rest of the flock was treated accordingly.

IDK if this is the same problem but I can say in our case it was parasites that changed the color of our barred cochin.

Well, Georgie has begun eating again. I did treat her with Iver-on pour-on Ivermectin, and will treat all of the others, as well. She began eating small amounts prior to this, so I'm hoping it's just good news all-around, but no sign of why this is happening.

I suspect after much study now, that her coloring is really the product of her having stopped egg production so long ago- the yellow is an indication of a non-layer.

I feel the reason it was so alarming for me is that she had gone pale and the yellow is the color that remained, normal for a non-layer.

She has gotten up on the roost a couple of times and goes out of the coop during the day. This is an improvement!

Alas, Georgie has flown off to Chicken Heaven, where the streets are made of plump fresh corn cobblestones and the walls crawl with bugs.

Friday night she left us, and the girls were home from school, so when I sensed it would be that day, we spent it with her and petted and loved on her. It was not fun, but we were with her when it counted, and everyone got to say goodbye. She was in her cushy dog bed she lived in while she was inside healing her pelvis this Spring, and she had treats and water nearby. She waited until I went inside briefly and was gone when I came back out.

She's off to Manhattan for a necropsy, just because I want to be certain what it was.

We're all okay now- I think it hit me worst, but I know she's better now.

Tuffolbird, I am submitting her for necropsy. They said that it would just be a charge for disposal if I was only going for the gross necropsy, and I asked if they'd call me if they suspect other tests ought to be done prior to disposal.

Thanks for the link- I would not have done it if you hadn't made it easy for me- we get overwhelmed even when we lose pets!

Back
Top Bottom