Necropsy showed....cancer???

EurekaSouth

Songster
13 Years
Mar 8, 2007
North Northern California
She was gasping for air like a fish out of water for about a week prior. We couldn't let her suffer like that any longer. Her intestines were a mass of many, many hard, vascularized, white and gray, pretty small (2-3 cm), small (5 cm) and medium sized (marble sized) balls; I don't see how any food could pass through it. Her liver had several (15-20) pockets of clear fluid, but seemed a normal color. She had nothing in her gizzard and when I cut into her abdomen 1 - 1 1/2 cups of urine-colored fluid came out, but it did not smell like urine (besides, chickens don't urinate!). Her heart looked fine, but the fat around it and in the normal places was a bright dark yellow (not a lot of it though, she was so skinny like she hadn't been eating). Her lungs were dark pink and did not look great. You could see a couple of yolks for eggs that her body was wanting to lay in the future, and there was also a loose, round darker gray with reddish lining object that looked like a leathery ping pong ball, and when I split it open, there was nothing inside. Nothing smelled abnormal. I'm so sorry I have no pictures, but I was engrossed in doing this necropsy and pretty amazed, and I didn't think about it. I don't know if this means anything, but DH just reminded me she had a "divot" in her breast while she was still alive - because she had nothing in her gizzard?
Will you please share your thoughts with me?

Chickens do urinate, that's why they have kidney's. But the yellow fluid in the stomach sounds very unusual.
Pictures of the necropsy would help rather then try to explain what you see on your own.

Back
Top Bottom