1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need 2 Female American Buff Goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by FarmrGirl, Feb 1, 2011.

1. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I noticed that none of the hatcheries will sell sexed geese that aren't already paired. I have two Juvenile Holderread American Blue Ganders who I'd like to pair with a couple of girls. Clearly I don't need any additional ganders so how in the world do I get female only?

I'm gonna try to send Holderread and Metzer an email explaining to see if they'll send me sexed goslings, they must understand that folks need to keep a good ratio of geese to gander... I'll let you know how that goes.

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Ideal Poultry has American Buff geese and you can get them sexed.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    May I ask why you want buffs to pair with blues? [​IMG]

4. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    I'd be happy with Buffs, Blues or Lavenders. But the only place I know that I can get Blues or Lavenders is Holderread and they were clear that I could only get straight run or a pair.

5. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Thanks, ducklover1!!

I totally forgot to check with Ideal [​IMG]

6. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    What is your goal in pairing them up? Are you planning on breeding? If you breed blues to buffs you basically have mutts. You can't sell pure hatching eggs. You can't sell pure goslings... I guess I just don't see what the point would be.

If you're not planning on breeding then gender isn't necessarily all that important. You could keep just your two ganders and see how they do. Ganders can and will pair up with each other and be perfectly happy -- confused when trying to mate, but happy. [​IMG] [​IMG]

If you're breeding for your own meat uses then why not just buy several straight run, vent sex at the end of the year and cull the extra ganders?

Alternately, I suppose, look locally. Post on craigslist, on the appropriate thread here, etc. You may find someone who has blues/lavenders who would be willing to sell you some females. I would sell you a couple female blues if you were close, but I don't generally ship live birds. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  7. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:All good points, Olive Hill. Really looking for meat only, but I guess it would be a nice alternative to offer quality goslings or hatching eggs for sale too. I thought about ordering several st run from Holderread and culling, I'll have to give it some more consideration... the up-front cost will be high but I guess it'll average out over the years.

8. Silver Spring Waterfowl

Silver Spring Waterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

If you ask for American Buffs, you will get buff-colored birds. If you need American Blues, you need to specifically ask for them. Holderreads have those. I hadn't seen Blues available through Metzer Farms. I could be wrong. You may only be able to purchase them in pairs. There are a few folks who post on here that have Blues. You might see what you need to do for a "want add". Good luck!

9. MsMelvin

MsMelvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    The way I understand it is that Holderread, Dave "created" the blues and lavenders and they are only available thru his preservation center for now. No other breeder / hatchery carries them as of yet.

When Holderreads discontinued the buff colour, Metzer Farm bought them out (or at least a good part of Dave and Millie's breeding stock) however, will not part with any of the off spring this year. Next year Holderread's line of quality stock will be integrated and available for purchase from Metzer's Farm. (I know; long waiting period).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong there...

Neither will part with female only goslings though. [​IMG]

10. Olive Hill

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Correct.

Quote:Depends. Define "breeder / hatchery". No large, national hatchery is carrying them. There are lots of small operations that are breeding and selling them though.

Quote:Yep.

Quote:I would disagree that anyone should abide by some self-inflicted waiting period just with the hopes of receiving Holderread lines from Metzer rather than Metzer lines from Metzer. I have a mixed flock of buffs from both Metzer and Holderread. You cannot tell which birds are which unless you already know. If someone is ready for buffs now buying from Metzer isn't necessarily a mistake. The description "Holderread's line of quality stock" is applicable in some situations, less so in others. Holderread's is kind of like name brand vs store brand at the grocery store. Not all store brands compare well with the name brand but some do and you're absolutely paying for the name on the box when you buy the name brand regardless.

Quote:Yep.

To put a little perspective on this though, male livestock are worth very little in the grand scheme of things. At many hatcheries male chicks, ducklings, etc. have to be culled en masse at birth because there simply isn't the demand for them to be sold. Every time you place an order for just pullets, basically, you contribute directly to that. It is what it is. By selling geese only in pairs or straight run they do not have the need to cull male goslings at just days old. They understand the need for keeping flock ratios in check, but they have to keep their ratios in check, too. And they're dealing with a lot larger numbers than their clients are. If they let you order just females then they have to let the next guy and the next and before you know it everybody and their brother is calling up with a sob story about their lonely gander and wanting just females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by