Need 4H help w/question ?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Jun 25, 2010.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

For all you 4H'er out there - I have someone who wants to show Muscovy for 4H but the birds are suppose to be "grown". So, are Muscovy considered "grown" at processing age of 12-14 wks or (at least for the girls) 5-6mo.? I don't want to sell her birds that aren't going to be old enough by her July 17th show date. THANKS!!!!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Im sure someone can help///

3. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I can't really answer the questions but I have one of my own. I thought the whole idea of 4H was to learn about farm animals by growing your own. Buying your show animal 3 weeks before the show appears to be against the spirit of 4H (I don't know the actual rules) If this is allowed the show will become a contest to see which family has the most money to be spent to buy the prize. Is this what 4H has become?

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I can't really answer the questions but I have one of my own. I thought the whole idea of 4H was to learn about farm animals by growing your own. Buying your show animal 3 weeks before the show appears to be against the spirit of 4H (I don't know the actual rules) If this is allowed the show will become a contest to see which family has the most money to be spent to buy the prize. Is this what 4H has become?

I agree that it should be about you raising the animals ... But some kids do get into it late in the year.. I am just glad she is interested in 4-H

5. keeperofthehearth

Thanks guys. I thought the same as you. As it is, the gal is older and "shows" horses & cows seriously (her words). Lives on a dairy farm. She wanted the pair of Scovies to show for fun. Has done it before. She will have a few weeks to get the ducks use to her since I don't handle my ducks much. She also plans on keeping them on their farm afterwards.

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Isn't it illegal to own Muscovy ducks now??
    I thought there was a new law going into effect.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:No they were able to stop it from passing (for now)

8. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

check the local rules for 4-H in your area. i think here you had to have the animal under your ownership at the beginning f the year to show, but im not sure on age.

9. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    for us (in canada) our birds have to be hatched before a cretin point

10. keeperofthehearth

Isn't it illegal to own Muscovy ducks now??
    I thought there was a new law going into effect.

They are not "enforcing" the control order at this time. They put a hold on it as they are re-writing it after all the new info they have been given.
    To help keep abreast of the situation you can subscribe to this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=304055
    as it get's updated. There is a good chance that they our Muscovy will be recognized as "domestic" (which they are) and no longer fall under the FWS control order.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by