Need a answer Egg only day six and looking like day 15-16

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Charlotte, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello I candled my broody eggs and they all look day six but 1 it looks like day 15-16 it is black on the inside with an air sack and all (even no every egg has an air sack) It has a white ruff shell I candled another white egg it did not have the ruff shell and it has not been under my broody but no it does not seem darker than the other normal eggs.
    What is happening???[​IMG]

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Unless the broody was sitting before you knew about it, I would really suspect you have a very rotten egg. You should still see movement inside an egg when candling at day 15 or 16, unless it has died and is now rotten. You could sniff the egg and check it for seepage, but I personally would toss it if I didnt see any movement when candling if it is all black like you describe.

3. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    It was ROTTON AHHHHHHH

4. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Smell it [​IMG]
    If it doesn't stink then wait till tonight to candle and see whats happening.

Oh wait did you mean that you already know it is rotten?

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:Do I wanna ask how you found out? [​IMG]

AC

6. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Yuck! That's one thing that I haven't had to deal with *yet* while hatching eggs. Yuck again! lol I hope I never do.. my mom had an egg burst on her when she was my age and she still isn't very fond of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by