Need a bit of help, geese died and are caged next to my chicks(stress)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HeatherLynn, May 14, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I posted in the geese forum about this to help the remaining 4 geese but my big worry is my chicks. They are healthy at this point but they are in an adjoining pen. Our 2 story mini coop has 2 apartments. Geese are in one. Chicks are in the other. All seemed very healthy but were staying separate from flock until they are older and they have a health all clear.

No clue why the geese are dying. One I just had a feeling it would die. It was really struggling with temperature. It seemed to need to be under a hair dryiner 24/7. So I was not worried but now one of the more hearty ones died unexpectedly. No funny breathing, eating well, drinking, stayed warm. No clue. The only worry I have is it had odd red scales on its feet. I cannot think of why that would be. Bedding should have been fine. Nothing to irritated and everyone was cleaned at least once a day. So I am thinking maybe its mites, or lice. I have no clue. I read what I could and short of running out tonight with a flashlight and checking u nder tails I do not see anything and I checked everyone.

I bought a water soluable antibiotic. Tetracyclin in think is what is was marked. I also got seven powder 5% which says not to use on animals but its what was listed on the forums. I have no clue what I should be doing next. I have 4 goslings still looking hale and hearty. Also 14 chicks thriving. I have not lost one chick and I don't want to start now. Advise please. Do I treat or go out with the flash light. I am itching like mad just thinking about them having mites. No itching before hand but uggg praying thats not it.

So here are the facts I have. They do not share feed. Each has its own type of feed. ( gamebird for the geese) The chick feed is medicated. Water is kept fresh. The geese are allowed clover and grass. Whatever they can manage on their own when they get a little outside time. Oats are given as treats. I have not offered any type of veggie yet. My mother did have them in the greenhouse with her so I am praying wandering jew is not poison to them. She also put a little dish with water in it so they could bathe without trying to wash in their waterer. The geese are roughly 6 to 8 weeks along. The chickens are 5 to 6 weeks along.

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would check your feed very welll... It sounds to me that it may be the goose food is bad ...

3. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    You don't mention this, but do the geese have a deep enough dish of water to submerge thier nostrils In? They need to be able to clean their bills. Not sure what kind of illness this can cause if they have a lack of plenty of water to dunk their heads in.
    That is all I can think of at the moment.
    I hope you don't lose anymore.
    Sorry you are having this sad experience.

4. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    As long as I can keep my mother away from their water they have plenty to dip their whole heads in if they want. She keeps taking stuff away because its messy. Even when they are outside. These are her geese though and I am just raising them for her since she never raised any of hers in the past. One thing my husband mentioned is she might have fed them the medicated chick feed. l but I have separate bags of feed for chicks and goslings but she may have ignored my warning of getting feed from the right bag.

I asked her nicely if she was sure she did not mess with water or food while I was gone and she said no. I don't care if I am past 30 with 4 kids I can't keep asking without it soundling like an accusation and that very well could get me smacked. eek

My fear is if those are not the reasons is there something wrong with them and will it affect my chickens. My first silkie is in the attatched coop and its my first. I have never lost a chick. Even when I hatched my own goose and duck eggs I only ever lost 2. This is very stressful. Today I moved all of them in their heavy new coop out doors but inside the chicken pen. I had the hubby attatch rain flaps so I can block out cool air or rain if the weather changes a bit. These coops have arthritis and child unfriendly latches so if anything else happens I will know it was not caused by water or food. The new coops are also easier to keep clean and dry so maybe that will help the geese. Even cleaning every day was not enough. They are such sweet little piggies.

I guess my worry is that I have exposed the chicks. Even though they have been around the geese from the beginning I think maybe I should have them all segregated now. I might have to have the hubby whip up another mini coop for me. I'll be heading outside with the flashlight all night checking them I am sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by