Need a Broody duck hen for next year!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BuffOrpington22, Sep 30, 2011.

1. BuffOrpington22

BuffOrpington22 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Klagetoh Arizona
    Hello [​IMG] I'm looking for the best broody duck and doing a lot of researching I think I might get some muscovy ducks. The think is when will they be able to brood their own eggs. How many months or even years do muscovy ducks have to be in order to start to become broody? I do realize that if you cross breed them with other ducks they'll hatch but they offspring won't able to reproduce. Please any information will help I just need advice. Thank you a lot. Today I recently purchase three ducks but they are not muscovy's but I'll keep them lol.

2. AV Brahmas

AV Brahmas Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    The Great White North
    Muscovies are great parents. Hens will breed by there second Spring and can have more than one clutch in a season. Very defensive of nest and young. Ours fight off racoons. Drakes can be a problem with other poultry as they will try to breed just about anything.

3. BuffOrpington22

BuffOrpington22 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    Klagetoh Arizona
    Thanks for your help this might be a silly question when you say by their second spring you mean two years right? Thanks I'm looking forward on purchasing some muscovies I'm getting their pen set up right now and putting up an electric fence to keep they even more safe from coyotes. For some odd reason we are getting a lot here.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by