Need a Christmas miracle....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MommaLyd, Dec 1, 2008.

1. MommaLyd

MommaLyd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    Punta Gorda, FL
    I haven't written on here in awhile...but I would like to tell you my story and I just know you all will understand and not think that I'm just another "crazy chicken lady." LOL.

To make a very long story as short as possible...After leaving someone else in charge of caring for my "babies" (2 banty hens and 2 banty roos), while we made a whirlwind, 36-hour trip from FL to MI and back for by best friend's son's funeral, my babies were brutally and horribly eaten by raccoons. The person in charge lives in my home, knows what my chickens mean to me, yet he neglected to ever think of them to put them away in their cages that evening. He didn’t even realize what had happened until I was beating on his door at 3 am, hysterical, trying to wrap my brain around the reality of had happened. It must have been terrifying for them as the coons dug under their pen and slaughtered them. My Sadie baby tried to get away but didn’t make it past the aloes at the corner of the house. She had faced-down a bobcat before! She was 10 years old and I have never met another chicken like her and am sure I never will again. I got Jimmy B. in Key West, he was rescued by the Chicken Lady who rehabs feral chickens. He was Sadie’s “boy toy.” The other 2 were their offspring, Evie and Earl. Not only does my imagination replay the horrible scene that must have taken place over and over, but I also have to figure out how to forgive. This person is family and there is no way I can just shut him out of my life. Besides, that wouldn't be the positive thing to do. Something good has to come out of this massacre...maybe he'll be more responsible and caring in the future...maybe. However, every day that goes by, my resentment grows and festers and I just pray that one day I can let it go. I have never been betrayed like this before in my life. My babies didn’t deserve that...after all I do for him.

Two days later, I thought about the 6 eggs that I had in the fridge and wondered if life was still possible in those eggs. I had no idea actually how long some of them had been in the fridge or if they were even fertile to begin with. I googled everything I could with about 50% of the sites saying "impossible" and the other 50% saying "possible but not very probable...better chance at hitting the lottery." I just had to try....how could I just throw these eggs away with even the slight possibility of life? I certainly could not eat them now! I gathered what I could and sent the hubby out for a thermometer and to the smoke shop for an hygrometer. I read up on the “how to’s” on Back Yard Chickens and some other very respectful and knowledgeable sites, and put it all together and said a prayer. I’ve had baby chicks before but Momma Sadie always took care of everything and these eggs are really special. Along with just about everybody thinking I’m totally nuts to even try, they also tell me they are praying for my eggs... Lord help me if I screw up! Anyway, my daughter and I candled them on Thanksgiving and I do believe we have at least 2, maybe 3, viable, live eggs!!! I immediately called our local extension office (who we know through my daughter belonging to 4-H) and asked to borrow a real incubator. I finally got the incubator today and will be transferring my eggs to it tomorrow – after I make sure it is working right. Again, Lord help me if something goes wrong.

So that’s where we are at the moment. The eggs are incubating, I’m turning and watching temps and humidity – even on my nocturnal trips to the bathroom I detour to check the “vitals.” I want to candle them again as we transfer but, at the same time, am terrified that I will find something wrong. Part of me just wants to wait and see if I start hearing any peeping on or about December 7th. I’m so scared and so anxious. If I do get baby chicks out of these eggs, it will certainly be my Christmas miracle and I will know for sure that Sadie is helping me take care of her babies from chicken heaven. As silly as it may sound, I ask that you please say a prayer, send some energy...do whatever it is that you do, to help these babies be born strong and healthy. I also ask that next time you leave your babies in someone else’s care, remember my story and make absolutely certain the person you have chosen is responsible, caring and just as obsessed as you are...then call often to check on them!

Thanks for letting me share my story and...with telling, there is healing.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope you get a good hatch! Anyway, here's a [​IMG].

Sorry that you lost your sweet bantams to his neglect.

3. AilsVonHelson

AilsVonHelson Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    Orlando, FL.
    I'm sorry that his neglect caused such misfortune to your small flock... [​IMG] I can only hope those eggs in the incubator hatch succesfully and that that person learns some responsibility... [​IMG]

What breeds were they? Perhaps one day, if my hen ever begins to lay i can send you some lovely eggs? [​IMG]

4. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Sorry for your loss... [​IMG] good luck hatching [​IMG]

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Ps. this is not a great post for it, but I'd still like to say [​IMG] welcome to BYC.

6. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I am sorry for your loss!

Prayers for happy, healthy chicks and lots of them. I know that it is disheartening to have someone betray our trust but you must try to forgive--not forget--but forgive. Good luck--we'll be waiting for progress reports. Dixie

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    may i ask, did he actually neglect them? (aka, leave them alone.. knowing they were there) Or did he FORGET them due to not being used to caring for them so they slipped his mind?

8. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Miracles DO happen!!!
    I cross my fingers for you and keep us posted.

9. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    I, too, am so sorry for your loss. It must be devastating. I'll be praying for three little Christmas miracles for you!

10. MommaLyd

MommaLyd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    Punta Gorda, FL
    Quote:Unfortunately, he (my nephew) and his adorible daughter have lived with me for over 1 year and a half and it was a nightly routine to bring the chickens in - which he was apart of just about every night. When I would open their pen, my chickens would walk right into the house through the back sliding doors. They always knew what time it was and would start squalking and crowing when they were ready to come in. After a little stay in the house, and maybe being spoiled with some dinner scraps, we would all "grab a chicken" and take them to their cages in the garage for the night. He should have known. At one point during the evening, he would have even had to go through the garage to close the big garage door...I can't even begin to imagine how he never noticed the cages open and their covers up. I can't imagine how he never heard the noise that must have been going on outside. I can't imagine how he never even thought to check on anything and "lock up" for the night. If he knew what had happened, he never let on to us and seemed totally in shock when it was discovered. I know he feels bad. It really hurt him to see me so hurt...but I just don't think he understands why I'm so hurt or how much. I made him clean out the cages and pick up the pile of feathers in the aloes, hoping that would do something. He needs to have some remorse for what he did to another living creature, not just that he hurt me. He is an animal lover but not a very responsible one. He owns a snake simply because he can forget about it for a month at a time before he has to take care of it again. Don't get me wrong...he's a decent guy (27 years old) but he just doesn't think sometimes. He isn't on any drugs and does not drink....the only excuse he could have is shear laziness and lack of care for anything other than himself. A perfect example would be when I brought the incubator in and was looking for a good safe spot to put it....his suggestion was putting it on the table in his room. Now, if he just killed my chickens....like I would actually trust putting those very precious eggs anywhere within his reach???? Maybe, just maybe...when he finds himself in a similar situation somewhere else in life...maybe even caring for a child, this memory may make him be a little more careful and more attentive...then it would not be for naught. I just hate that it had to be my chickens that were used to teach him this lesson...which, he hopefully learns.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by