Need a coop in Naples, fl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Narario1982, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Narario1982

Narario1982 New Egg

Dec 31, 2014
    New here to byc. We are looking to buy a coop or have someone come on property to build one. Any suggestions?

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. How many chickens are you planning to get, and how big a coop are you planning to buy or build. If you aren't planning on getting more than 8-10 chickens, you can always order a coop or a coop/run on line from companies like Murray McMurray (https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/coops.html). Or if you can locate someone else in your area who has chickens, perhaps you could pay them to build a coop or coop/run for you. You can contact other members from your area on our Naples, FL threads at https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=naples,+florida. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Some of the ready made coops are very attractive but, not made to stand up to weather. They also tend to overestimate how many birds can comfortably fit inside. Rule of thumb is 4 sg.feet(min) per bird inside the coop - not including the nest boxes and roosts. For the outside run 10 sg.feet per bird (min). A cover on the run can keep hawks out, as well as providing some rain protection. If you peruse the coop section people generally say WHY they added certain features - for instance having the coop on high ground and/or raised on stilts if the area floods often.

Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock.

4. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Welcome to BYC and Happy New Year! [​IMG]

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

6. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hello and welcome to BYC! Be sure to get a big enough coop to allow for "chicken math". Most people find that once they get started raising chickens, they want more birds than they originally planned for. Better to have a coop too big than too small. Also, birds like room, they get testy with each other if they are crowded.

7. Narario1982

Narario1982 New Egg

Dec 31, 2014
    Thank you all. I plan on starting with 4 chickens but eventually going to 12 once we get the hang of it. I will go with a larger coop or perhaps to medium sized coops.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013