Need a crash course in call duck care ASAP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chickenaddict, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Once again I am off on an awesome adventure, the chickens weren't enough to feed my addiction so I got 2 call ducks at a swap today.

I need to know if there is a special duck feed I have to give them or if layer feed would be ok? Everyone at the swap told me chick starter but I don't buy it and I want them to be happy and healthy.

Their run for now (quarentine) is a dog kennel with a coop connected on one end. In their run they have a kiddie pool, feed dish and a dog bowl with water in it seeing as they can't drink out of chicken waterers [​IMG]

DO they need a special nest? There are nesting boxes in the coop but heck I don't know the first thing about them, should have done my homework I know. They seem to like the pool alot and won't get out. Do i need to lock them in the coop at night? WIll they eventually go in on their own? How often should I change the water in the pool? Oh soo many questions I have....

Eventually I'd like to let them free range with the chickens, will they all cohabitate together or do I need to keep them seperate?
    Are call ducks winter hardy? SIlly question I know but like I stated I am completely clueless right now and want to do everything right. DO they need a swimming hole when it's 40 below or all winter for that matter or would a weekly swim in the tub be enough?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated and TY in advance [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:GET MORE!

3. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Hahahaha My thoughts exactly!

Thanks for the great advice, They are 1 year old so would layer feed be best or waterfowl feed?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I feed mine flock raiser the same as my chickens.

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks Katy, I give mine a mix of flock raiser and layer crumbles. That helps alot to know they can eat the same feed as the chickens.

6. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Same feed and basic care. Just be careful when giving medications through water. Not all chicken meds are good for ducks. Oh, and they must have water to consume their food.

Call ducks are adorable. They look like little wind up toys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by