Need a foster home for my chicken in Bronx, ny

syedali

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
I'm moving to a house with backyard access in 2 weeks but I already bought a chicken and having hard time raising it in an apartment. I gave her rice, lenthal, chick peas, and water but it's been 2 days she's not eating nor anything. I need someone to hold my chicken for two weeks until I move to new place, I bought this chicken from an organic farm in cortdland manor, ny. Please contact me asap. Thanks

I live out on Long Island, can you meet me somewhere in the middle? As long as she hasn't got anything to make anybody sick...You are welcome to pm me, Roberta
One of the kids at work is going to the zoo tomorrow... maybe if you have a box for her, she can hitch a ride back

Last edited:
Quote:
X2!

In addition to finding a temporary foster home, I hope you read up on the proper food and care for the bird so when you get her back you have the right setup in place at the new house. There is a lot of great information on here, take advantage of it! Best of luck to you!

She's an adult chicken - no idea what you mean by she needs a layer vs. starter

Silkiechicken was not sure if you had an adult bird or not. So she wanted to let you know what type feed you would need for her. Since you have an adult hen of laying age you will need to provide her with layer feed to provide her with the optimum nutrition that she needs to provide you with the best eggs and her with the best nutrients.
thumbsup.gif

Yes, she will need to be on layer feed, she needs good protein and calcium to maintain her health. Go to your local feed store and pick up some layer feed for her. Also chickens are very social animals so she will be much happier with another chicken friend to keep her company. Good luck!

Stoopid to the rescue!!! I am sending my husband up to get her, he had to go up that way for a favor for a friend. I have the address, and hopefully they will find more appropriate food for her until she goes on vacation at my farm. I AM worried about disease, but hope the good deed will outweigh her fate....

Put the new bird in quarantine. Feed, water, handle your birds first and ideally keep the new bird away from your flock as far as possible. This goes for any bird, even ones which look healthy for at least 30 days. Standard practice to avoid disease and parasites. Good luck and glad you are able to help!

Quote:
I picked up this hen from over 200 chickens from a farm in westchester county (Cortdlandt Manor, NY) I'm sure she's fine but I'm not an expert, I'll let the wonderful rescuer decide how she wants to proceed. Thank you all for your support!

Back
Top Bottom