1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

need a good cake recipe and homemade bread recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by wendy, Nov 14, 2008.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i am looking for a good cake recipe that i can use (with flour, not cake flour)

and a good homemade bread recipe that i can make without a bread machine

thanks, wendy

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Well you got the bread [​IMG] For cake - I go to Claim Jumper and buy their motherloade cake. No one can make a cake at home as good, dark and rich as it is. I hope you have one near you!

3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There is a beer bread recipe I found online that is fantastic. I also found a recipe online for my husbands favorite cake called Mayonaise Cake, sounds gross but I can tell you it is the most delicious cake in the world! I didn't however use the icing suggested by the recipe. I took 1 stick of salted butter, 1 8oz. pkg cream cheese and let it sit in a bowl until room temp. Then in my mixer, creamed the butter and cream cheese together and added 1 pound of confectioners sugar a little at a time until whipped. Hope this helps!

4. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:No we don't have a claim jumper, never even heard of it [​IMG]

wendy

5. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
  6. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:Thanks I like both of these [​IMG] . Can't wait to go to the grocery store to get all the ingredients! Yeah [​IMG]

wendy

7. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    This is one of my favorite cake recipes...it's a great moist cake, very easy to make and doesn't take many ingredients.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake

-In a saucepan add 1 stick of butter to 1 cup of milk. Stir until butter is melted remove from heat & set aside.

- In a large bowl beat 4 eggs then add following:

2 cups granulated sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla

mix well then add:

2 cups all purpose flour and the butter/ milk mixture. Mix well.

Bake in 13 x 9 dish @ 350 degrees for 30-35min or when toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven, melt 1 stick of butter evenly across top of cake then sprinkle with 10x sugar.

8. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my moms bread recipie, I make cinnamon rolls out of this too.

4 cups milk, scald milk.
    take off burner, add 2/3 cups sugar, 1 stick butter and 2 tablespoons salt.
    let sit.
    in the mean time take 1/2 cup water, (110 degrees)
    and dissolve 3 packages of dry active yeast, I use regular flessmans, not rapid rise.
    add a pinch of sugar to jump start the yeast.

add to milk, when milk is cooled off a bit, you don't want to kill the yeast.
    stir in flour, a cup at a time, until you use between 10 to 14 cups, depending on humidity outside, and just how it feels. knead for 5 minutes on a board, adding as little flour as possible.
    (I measure the 10 to 14 cups and use that in flouring the board and kneading)
    when you add flour, add as much as you can until it gets hard to stir and then turn out on floured board and knead.
    you can also use a good mixer with a dough hook, but I like to knead it for the best effect. you can do both also.
    put in greased bowl, I use butter flavor crisco, and grease top also.
    put on counter with cloth on top of it.
    if it is winter I take a cotton flour sack towel and get it wet with hot water and put it on the top, in a warm place.
    sometimes you can turn you oven on warm, till it gets warm, then shut it off, open the door, and put it inside with a pan of hot water under the bowl.
    let rise 1 hour or till doubled.
    punch down the dough. mom used to punch it down 2 or 3 times, depending on if she was watching tv or whatever!!!
    make loaves, and bake 350 for 25-40 minutes, till golden brown and hollow sound with tapped.
    to make cinnamon rolls out of this, you can roll out on a board, and take a stick of softened butter and spread on the dough... usually 1/2 the batch.
    then cover with brown sugar, cinnamon, and rasins, roll up.
    I actually have a funny little video I made for my brother when he wanted to learn to make them.
    we used to play around with my dads video camera and made a cooking show with a stuffed monkey.
    if you want to watch it, it is here...

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=8470611

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  9. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    These sound so good too, Thanks!!!!! [​IMG]

wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by