Need a good Homemade Doughnut Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Parson's Wife, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Hello,
    I'm looking for a donut recipe....for a large number of folks! [​IMG]

EDITED TO ADD "YEAST" TYPE DONUT (DOUGHNUTS)

Our church is thinking about a fundraiser of selling fresh donuts on Saturdays....(no fresh donuts to be found in this town)
    I'm trying out a new recipe today....will let ya'll know how that one goes...
    But would be very interested in others.... [​IMG] One's that YOU have tried..or ate?? [​IMG]
    Anyway, am interested in whatever you have....
    the ParsonsWife

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2008
  2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    When I was a kid my mom would buy a tube of refrigerated bisquits, find something small and round to cut out the center, fry it in oil in a pan for a few minutes until it turned golden brown & then put it in a ziploc bag that was full of powdered sugar and shake. She, of course, fried up the doughnut holes too. It was simple, quick and didn't cost too much. Just a thought. [​IMG]

3. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Here is one of my fav's from a very old cook book published back in the 30's

Doughnuts
    Sweet Milk

3 eggs
    1 C sugar
    2 TBS shortening
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    3 1/2 C sifted flour
    1 C milk
    1/2 tsp lemon extract

Beat eggs untill very light, beat in sugar, then add melted shortening. Sift baking powder, salt and nutmeg with 1 Cup flour and stir into first mixture alternatlely with milk. Add lemon extract an just enough flour to make a very soft dough. Chill. Roll our 3/4 inch thick on lightly floured board. A soft dough makes light, tender doughnuts when cooked. Fry in deep fat (360 - 370 degrees) and drain on paper. Makes 2 dozen

I like to make these in a dutch oven over an open fire when we camp out. The family says they taste better when cooked that way.

I have a few more but am running late for work.... blasted job interupts the most important things......So I jump on here later with the rest. Good Luck!

P.S. Have you though about making Indian Fry Bread at your event? It is super easy to make on site and sooo yummy!!!

4. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Sounds like a great idea, and yes the recipes I suggested my family has tried!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:Thats what we did and they where sooooooo goood! The best is when they are fresh out of the fryer.

6. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Quote:Yeah, it's kidda like french fries...they're best eaten when they about burn your mouth. :eek: Dagnabit, now I'mm going to have to but some -- but my kids will love it just as much as I did though. [​IMG]

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I may get some tomorrow. I love the taste. My favorite donuts is free donuts. I used to get over 100 from dunkin donuts. The reason why is when they are about to close they throw them away. I still get them off the rack and nice and warm. my favorite is the chocolate covered custard filled.

8. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Thank you...keep'em coming....
    Looking for yeast type doughnuts...
    And don't worry...the batch I'm making up today...I'm not going to eat ALL of them....I'll leave one or two [​IMG]
    Seriously, we have prayer meeting tonight and will serve them coffee an doughnuts.... [​IMG]

9. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Their other Mother- Tell me about this Indian Fry bread, one of the ladies make an Indian something or other... [​IMG]
    But would love to hear more about it... with a recipe? [​IMG]

10. Parson's Wife

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Sorry, double post. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by