Need a good topical post for pool to pond conversions.

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
I have a 12ft ca. 10k gallons when full(3 ft is above ground) round pool that no longer holds water well. water level seems to stop at almost even ground grade. I was thinking that the easiest conversion would be to take mortar and smooth river rock and top dress the existing liner. Use silicone sealants to glue together my anticipated 3-500 gallon reserve water level.

Administrators please move me to where this thread belongs if I am posting in the incorrect forum.

My plan is to go:

1) straight up plant/black mollies and potentially a plecky(these guys get an easy 3 ft) for algae/mosquito control. so fish safe materials. Need advice here.

2) biological filter slash/reserve water storage will be built under a 3-4 foot splash/stepped water noise fall feature. Mortared in place and I might talavera pottery tile the waterfall inside.

3) overflow runoff will be directed into a banana plant bed or to feed additional citrus plantings(16" average rainfall).

4) install guttering over the entire back section of the house to feed some type of cistern->filter tank->spillway.

5) do everything on the cheap. save the need to purchase fish/plants/water lilies and an appropriate sized pump to make the correct noise for the head that the final design will require.

6) Incorporate the existing 40 GPM system with sand filter if I experience clarity issues. Or use to filter then backflush the sand filter into the spillway for periodic waterings.

The previous owner had a penchant for doing things on the cheap, but with an absolute lack of engineering ability. 3 years in to this property now and this will be the last remaining deconstruction project we have left on the to do list. Oh yes I forgot to mention now all power is via a redundant GFI.

IMG_5451.JPG IMG_5452.JPG IMG_5453.JPG IMG_5454.JPG

Last edited:
Curious to see how you progress. I have an inground pool that I just let become a pond & truly enjoy it more than I ever did the pool. I have 8 bullfrogs & zillions of tadpoles, but I've never had more than 8 adult frogs. I also have a turtle who wandered in a few years ago. I've thought of getting mosquito fish, but figured the frogs would eat them. I do no filtration even though the pool pump/filter works - just running 12 hours a day as a pool & adding $500 a month to electric bill became too much. Good luck & will be following along!

Curious to see how you progress. I have an inground pool that I just let become a pond & truly enjoy it more than I ever did the pool. I have 8 bullfrogs & zillions of tadpoles, but I've never had more than 8 adult frogs. I also have a turtle who wandered in a few years ago. I've thought of getting mosquito fish, but figured the frogs would eat them. I do no filtration even though the pool pump/filter works - just running 12 hours a day as a pool & adding $500 a month to electric bill became too much. Good luck & will be following along!
Exactly agree with you on the pump I don't ever plan to run that unless needed. moving 5-600gph via an impeller pump takes like 20w/hour.

Gosh, I don’t know. Looks perfect for call ducks to me :D
@CarpCharacin might have some ideas for you.
I would like to have a water fall and mini stream feature in the build out so that the chicken get another water source. Also one designed for our migratory/permanent whistling ducks. Would love a cattail shallows feature to bring in even more mosquito and gnat killer hunter dragonflies.

Back
Top Bottom