Need a "growing up" coop - Now my "Kitchen Cabinet Coop" thread!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DreadedMoonMama, Feb 21, 2012.

1. DreadedMoonMama

DreadedMoonMama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2012
    I want to make a second coop for housing my babies-4mo or so (old enough to start eating layer feed). I have to do it as cheaply as possible, and also as simply as possible as my husband is going to be out of town and I have 3 small children to take care of. I currently have 4 standard size chicks, and I'm expecting another 5-6 bantam chicks and another standard in the next 2 weeks. What size should I make? I keep seeing all these neat repurposed coops with things like old dressers and dog houses and such, but I don't know that any of those will work for the number of chickens I have.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I used an old truck cap or topper. Built a frame 2 or 4 foot off the ground set the topper on the frame wire in the frame. Use the door on the back of topper to feed and water.You can build a loft across the back to roost in and keep them off the ground. It works ,and not permanent.you can move it or take apart later.

3. Kara515

Kara515 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    Wow, great idea!! Thanks for sharing!

4. DreadedMoonMama

Jan 26, 2012
    I ended up finding a giant cabinet (like kitchen cabinets) for $45 because they had no countertop, no drawers, and no doors. I'm going to put screen over where the drawers would be for ventilation, using a recycled door ($7) for the roof on recycled hinges so I can open the roof to clean the coop. And marine paint ($5) for the outside for waterproofing. :)

5. DreadedMoonMama

Jan 26, 2012
    Figured I'd update with some pics. :) Today I got the "legs" on the coop and got the nesting box installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Nesting box from the outside (still needs roof)

[​IMG]
    Nesting box from inside

6. DreadedMoonMama

Jan 26, 2012
    It's finished and occupied!!

[​IMG]

7. FreedomLover

FreedomLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Romance
    Very creative! I love how inovative people on BYC can be!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by