Need a hen with maternal instincts...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DaveMcLaren, Mar 3, 2013.

1. DaveMcLaren

DaveMcLaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I currently have 1 buff orpington, 3 reds and a rooster who I suspect is a old english/welsummer. I'd like to add a broody hen to sustain my flock without buying more birds. What breed should I go with? I've been looking at many, but it's hard to know what's best. I was thinking about another old english... Any suggestions?
    [​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Buff Orpingtons are VERY broody. I started with 25 of them and kept getting rid of the broody ones and some others until now I just have 10 left and one is broody right now, sitting on eggs. I am trying to select for not being so broody as I don't have many nest boxes. I suppose about 5 of them went broody in about a year's time.

3. DaveMcLaren

DaveMcLaren Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Are yours heritage line?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh mine are just from a hatchery. If you are looking for very good Orpingtons you might have a look at hinkjc's website:
    http://www.hinkjcpoultry.com/bufforpington.htm

I have some Black Orp eggs from hinkjc (Charlie and Jody) right now under a broody. They are going to be just fabulous and HUGE. How do I know this? Because I bought some Black/Blue/Splash Orps from a local lady who had hatched out eggs from them and the one Black roo that was out of their eggs was so respectful of us and HUGE. The others were also the same, but I think those might have been second generation possibly.I should have not gotten rid of them.

I believe but am not sure that the Buffs might be smaller than the Blacks...you'd have to ask.

There is an active Orpington thread here on BYC in the Breeds section of the forum. You might find additional breeders there if you are looking for breeder birds and not hatchery birds.

My hatchery Buff Orpingtons are just fine and I love them- they are from McMurray. In fact I have a baby Orp roo that I am waiting to grow up so he can manage the 10 hens I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by