Need a holiday meal recipe!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by snewman, Dec 19, 2009.

1. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    I am once again scrambling for something special to make for my husband and I for Christmas Eve dinner. He really only likes beef, pork or chicken, and I've kind of run out of fun things to do with those. Any favorite "fancy" recipes out there? Doesn't even have to be really fancy, just maybe something we don't already have all the time. I'd love to hear your favorites, or any ideas for foods I could look up myself.

Thanks, and happy holidays!

2. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    when dh gets tired of the same ol same ol I will fix a "shot up" chicken or turkey, it is easy to make the stuff to put in it. butter crab boil, and cajun spices then you put it in a big injector and shoot it up in the breast thighs legs back all over it and bake it as normal, it really gives it a twang. You can also do this with ham but not using the cajun stuff, you can ill it full of praline or any favorite ham glaze and shoot it up. makes one heck of a ham. you can also do it with pinapple and cherries to me that is the best. sorry if it isnt fancy I dont do many fancy meals to us a fancy meal is a reg. baked turkey or ham lol

3. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This is a big favorite.

Pork Roast

1 center cut pork loin roast,

Allow 3/4 pound per person with bone in, allow 1/2 pound per person with no bone.

The bone in roast has a better flavor. You will probably have to ask the store butcher to cut you one…and tell him to leave lots of fat on the top, it cooks up so brown and crispy good.

A little garlic salt.

Preheat oven to 325*
    Place roast in a pan, fat side up, do not cover.
    Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt.
    Roast at 325* allowing 35 minutes per pound.
    Slice off bone and serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another favorite

Pan Seared Rib Eye
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1 boneless rib eye steak, 1 1/2-inch thick
    Canola oil to coat
    Kosher salt and ground black pepper
    Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees. Bring steak(s) to room temperature.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes. Serve whole or slice thin and fan onto plate.
    Yield: 1 to 2 servings
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 5 minutes
    Difficulty: Easy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This one is my all time favorite...

Classic Chicken Under a Brick
    http://www.post-gazette.com/food/20011014brick2p2.asp

3 1/2- to 4-pound frying chicken, backbone removed and spread flat (see instructions)
    2 bricks, foil-wrapped (or other weights)

1/3 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons to film skillet
    1 cup mixed chopped herbs, including rosemary or sage, in any combination of parsley, thyme, basil, mint, chervil or oregano
    1-teaspoon kosher salt
    1 large, 2 small cloves garlic, or to taste
    1 teaspoon dried red pepper, or to taste
    Garnish: Herb sprigs and 1 lemon, cut in 6 wedges

Remove neck and giblets from chicken; reserve for another use or discard. Pull off and discard any lumps of fat. With poultry shears, cut along both sides of backbone, cutting back completely in two. Save backbone for stockpot. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pull open and set skin side up on a flat surface; press breastbone with your hand to flatten.

(I like to remove the breastbone with my kitchen shears.)

Chop garlic. Sprinkle coarse salt on top. With tines of a fork, crush garlic thoroughly into the salt. Stir garlic paste into 1/3-cup olive oil in a baking dish large enough to hold chicken flat. Add dried red pepper. Coat chicken all over; pat the mixed chopped herbs onto chicken thickly. Return chicken to container and refrigerate an hour or up to a day.

Using two tablespoons of oil, lightly coat the bottom of a heavy skillet measuring 9 or 10 inches across the cooking surface.

Heat the oil and put the chicken in, skin-side down. Weight with 2 bricks or another heavy skillet loaded with heavy items, at least 10 pounds in all. Cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes.

Scraping with a spatula turned upside down, loosen chicken and lift to check color. If not deeply browned, turn up heat a bit and cook 5 minutes more. Scrape again to loosen. Turn the chicken, using a large spatula and your other hand protected with paper towels. Weight again and cook 20 minutes. Test for doneness using an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh -- it should read 160 degrees to 165 degrees -- or make a small incision in the thigh with a sharp paring knife. If juice runs clear, chicken is done. Garnish with lemon wedges and sprigs of herbs.

Chef's trick: Cook skin-side-down to a golden turn 20 minutes in the skillet or on a grill, then transfer skin-side-up, to a 400-degree oven. Check for doneness after 10 minutes. This can save the day when charcoal briquettes poop out on you prematurely.

Serves 4-6.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    A fun and different beef recipe is chili colorado burritos - not your typical fare for WI [​IMG]
    or how about for fancy; a rolled flank steak stuffed with tapenad and thyme?
    both are favorites in our house
    I think I am going to do a prime rib in a rock salt crust this year.

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    We had lasagna last year. I made two. They went very quickly.
    It doesn't really have to be holiday fare, just something that they do not get very often.
    Something fun.
    Chickens used to be special, because they were not killed, plucked, and roasted unless it was a special occasion. Now they are a staple.
    Try Mexican food, or oriental. Or moroccan meat balls, or...you could ask him what he'd like. Maybe he'll take you out for dinner. [​IMG]

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    ...And I am going to so have to try the 'chicken under the bricks.'
    It' been saved in my BYC food file.

7. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    We always have Prime Rib, Yorkshire pudding, aus jus gravy, and asparagus with hollandaise sauce. Very easy to make too, not very involved but a bit pricey for the meat. That's why we only have it once a year. Definately worth the wait!

8. snewman

snewman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2007
    Belleville, WI
    Thank you to everyone for the suggestions. My mouth is watering! I think I could definitely pull off one of those. Since it's just the two of us for now I might even be able to swing the prime rib. I hope everyone has a fabulous holiday season.

Thanks again!

9. Kim_NC

Kim_NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Mt Airy, NC
    When we're having Christmas or Thanksgiving 'alone for two', we like to make

Rice-Stuffed Cornish Hens - recipe is for six, but I cut it down to two

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by