Need a Hot Pick recipe!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bren032673, Jun 16, 2011.

1. bren032673

bren032673 New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    We have 27 chicken. We have Black Minorca's, White Leg Horns, and Turkens. Our one leg horn has decided to pick on the other breeds. We have mixed breeds before and we found out that the Hot Pick worked really well. Only problem is that was years ago. This is our new flock. We haven't had a flock for about 5 years now. I need HELP NOW. I don't want to have to keep this chicken separated. PLEASE Help me here!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Use Vicks vapor rub...it'll deter picking.

3. bren032673

bren032673 New Egg

Jun 16, 2011
    Tried that isnt working.... ugggg

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Google "hot pick for poultry" and you'll find it. There are plenty of places that sell it, prices vary greatly. You can price shop for the best buy. You can look for the ingredients as well. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Do your birds have plenty of roaming room? Being confined in too small an area can increase pecking. Leghorns, I've heard, tend towards aggressiveness. One thought... rather than completing separating this hen, try keeping her in a pen (large dog kennel works great for this) that is embedded inside your larger run. She gets to be "with" other hens, but can't peck them. Once the other hens have had a respite from her agressive behavior, very gradually re-introduce her fully back into the flock. With luck, she will step down a notch in the pecking order without being totally ousted from the flock. Just my thoughts from NC......

6. kelehe

kelehe Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    I have 6 chicks about 5 weeks old, three of them started gettting their tail feathers eaten. I bought Rooster Booster Pick-No-More Lotion. It seems to have worked, it's been three days and there doesn't appear to be any more picking. I have read some folks have chickens that LIKE Pick -No-More and Blu-Kote works for them. Others have reported the opposite is true.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by