Need a little help determining breed of chickens please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nak86, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Nak86

Nak86 New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    Central California
    Hi guys I'm new to raising chickens and after much research I'm stumped on exactly what breeds of chickens I have and some whether what sex they are I started our with just a few but acquired some here and some there and now have 2 roosters for sure and the rest girls I hope. So yeah any help determining the sex and breed is much appreciated. I bought some Road Island Reds and so far they look like the pictures I see online but there are a few that are a bit brighter:

[​IMG]
    I bought a few at a different feed store that told me that they ONLY had RIR but when I got there these (in my limited experience clearly were not) were the only ones they had and looked nice so I bought them:
    [​IMG]
    The two lighter ones are the ones in question I think they are Orpingtons.

When I was at the same store I bought this one too because it looked cool but what breed is it?
    [​IMG]

A friend of a friend gave me four chickens and I know one for sure is a RIR but the other three I have no idea what breed or even there sex all are extremely flighty and seclude themselves from the rest of my flock which range from 5-7 weeks old about the age i assume these are also:
    [​IMG]
    this one is missing its tail feathers I don't know how it lost them

[​IMG]
    This one ran out of my dog kennel that I used to transport them and squared right up with my young rooster and they both flared out their neck feathers so that makes me believe its not a female.

[​IMG]
    This one I have no idea on ether

Thank you for the help guys.

2. Nak86

Nak86 New Egg

Jun 18, 2010
    Central California
    sorry new here and just realized I posted this on the wrong thread

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Picture
    1- New Hampshire
    2- From Left to right a EE (Easter Egger), Buff Orpington, Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red
    3- EE
    4- The one with Blue legs and the one with Green legs are Game (I think the brown one is a hen and the light color one is a rooster)
    5- Game hen
    6- Game (I think rooster)

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by