Need a little help, folks with converting a barn dog run to a coop.

KootenaiRiverChick

Songster
9 Years
Oct 4, 2011
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
"So, honey, I had this idea," I said. A lot of terrible things have come to pass after I said those exact words to the wife. So the look I got was quite expected but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt just a little bit. You see, my idea center (Let's call him Roger) thinks it's much smarter than it really is but I cant tell him that. Hell, I'm sure there was even a bit of concern in my own eyes as those words registered.

Anyway, this one might be one of the 1.7 out of one hundred that actually could turn out to be a good idea. You know how I know? Simple. Because my beautiful bride said, "Wow, baby. That's a really good idea."

I smiled and felt proud. Hey the little son of a gun got something right. I had to have something to do with that right? Maybe all the years of my criticizing Roger were finally starting to pay off, i thought. Next thing you should know about my idea center is that he's great for ideas but he needs me for the research. He gets bored. That's why I'm here. Roger is already onto something else. He was talking to me in the shower just a bit ago, Had something to do with creating something that combined a small local television station, falafels, rodeo bucking bulls, and a gaggle of cowboys playing something that resembled a cross of "you bet your life" and Cornhole. I stopped listening when he got to what he thought would be good prizes.

Ok, Ok, lets get to it, then.

We were looking into getting back into chickens on our new property. We left our last coop with the folks that bought our house. I was just going to build another one but ya'll know what building material prices are looking like right now and I dont want to be that guy that gets turned into a facebook meme when someone takes a picture of my F250 carrying the materials for a coop that has some pithy comment on it like "Look at this guy rubbing his wealth in all our faces." I like to be liked. so that is where Roger came in. He said. How bout that dog run? Good idea little guy. Good idea.

So here is the barn:
barn.jpg

The left side of the barn is currently a dog run. A dog run that we have never used. Despite having three dogs. Roger was opposed to putting our dogs in the dog run.
coop entry.jpg

front.jpg

the full barn has been fully insulated with 5 9/16 walls. You can see by the thickness of that door. Here is the view from inside the front door. Note the open windows on the side. The size of this space is 6'5" x 17'5" with concrete floors and footer. So that's about 114 sq. ft.

This space is also graded and has a couple drains in it for quick wash-downs with a hose. There are five windows in here offering great ventilation . Four of the windows are 4'x1'6 and one is 3'0x1'6, so by my calculations that's almost 30 sq. ft. of ventilation.

My thoughts here are chicken wire the exterior and then put some hinged shutters on them. They shouldn't ever be closed but we do get a lot of frozen nights up here 25 miles from the Canadian border during the winter.

Here is the back room and herein will be the majority of my questions later:
back room.jpg

Now, this space is 13' x 6'5" (85 sq.ft.). the problem here is that there are no windows. No ventilation. This is pretty much Why I'm here. I was thinking about putting the roosts and nesting boxes in this room. But am concerned with the ventilation and I'm not certain if I should be. If the door is open with all the windows in the front would that still be enough ventilation?

There is full electrical ran in here as my woodshop is on the other side of the barn wall.
coop electric front.jpg

so I can use heated water in the winter without any issue at all. .

Ok so that sums up everything. I was hoping you guys could help me out with some questions plus mayhap give me your thoughts on the space and what you would do if this was your project.

Questions:

1. Do we think it would be ok to put the nesting boxes and roosts in the back? I guess I could also put the roosts under the windows and simply put the nesting boxes in the back.
2. I was thinking of putting straw in the front half and deep bedding in the back as well. was going to throw linoleum under the bedding in the back so for cleaning I can take everything out and use a garden hose to rinse everything out. the front Ill just leave as concrete under the substrate. Does that sound like it would be alright?
3. Overall square footage combined in both rooms is almost 200 square foot. with ventilation by windows alone being 30 sq. ft. and if leaving screening the door off with some sort of chicken wire screen door almost 50 sq ft total vent.
3.5. we are only looking at having 20-25 hens in this coop to go with a broiler tractor I'm in the process of building where we will have 25 broilers. Those broilers wont be in here. This coop with the sq ft and vent should be more than fine for small flock of 25 yes? maybe even 30?
4. The square footage of the run I'm putting in this weekend will be about 500 sq. ft. so I'm pretty sure I'll have enough space for 25 hens in the run, yeah?
5. Another question I have is in regards to how many nesting boxes to try and quell broodiness and all that comes a long with too many nesting boxes. If we had 25-30 hens how many nesting boxes would be appropriate? When last we had chickens a couple years ago with had 6 nesting boxes for 13 chickens and we did have some issues with broodiness with a couple of our girls
8. If you would allow it one more off the topic question: We are too late in the season to get any chicks in the area. We missed the opportunity. Any recommendations on a good place to get chicks and or pullets that you guys have had good experiences with?
7. back on topic: I think my biggest concern is making sure they have enough ventilation. We have warm weather like in the 80s-high 90s through a couple months in the summer and snow in the winter. spring is glorious and they have more than enough room, I think to get out of the snow and mud in the winter. How would you guys approach this?

i think that covers everything but i have had a long day and hopefully can reserve the right to add a few more questions if they come to mind. I do apologize for throwin' all the maths and numberses at you guys.

I really just wanted to say that this place has been such a blessing over the years and I thank each and everyone of you :)

-Hetch

Overall your plan should be fine for 25-30 chickens. The usual recommendation is 1 nest per 3-5 birds but if you feel that 6 nests isn't enough, maybe bump it up to 8, 10?

Since you have space to work with I'd strongly consider building in areas (like maybe under the roosts, if using poop boards) to place broody breaker cages, or that can be closed off to brood and integrate new chicks.

I'd consider nest boxes in back, and/or possibly storage in back? You can probably get away with minimal ventilation in the back that way. Roosts should be in the front area as you really want the ventilation to allow ammonia to escape while they're sleeping.

Also want to add, chicken wire is only good for keeping chickens in, not predators out. You're better off using welded wire or hardware cloth with openings no larger than 1/2", and make sure it's attached securely, either with screws and fender washers or by sandwiching wood around the frame and screwing it in.

Now, this space is 13' x 6'5" (85 sq.ft.). the problem here is that there are no windows. No ventilation. This is pretty much Why I'm here. I was thinking about putting the roosts and nesting boxes in this room. But am concerned with the ventilation and I'm not certain if I should be. If the door is open with all the windows in the front would that still be enough ventilation?
To bad the roof overhang is not present for this part(or at least it doesn't look like it is)
....or you could open it up like the 'run' part.

What I would do with that fantastic area is this:

1. Roosts and nest boxes in the front ventilated area. Chickens locked in the "coop" at night.
2. Build a fenced run area outside for them to be outside for exercise, sunshine and fresh air. Open access for the birds during the day.
3. Use the back area for storage of feed, supplies and maybe put in a brooding area for raising chicks. You will need ventilation for the brooding area, but not nearly as much as you will need for housing adult chickens.

The front "coop" room will have plenty of room for them to hang out on bad weather days, yet they will have the option to go outside and get fresh mountain air, lol.

Paint that chip board on the walls before you put chickens in there. My experience with chickens says the humidity from them will cause that stuff to crumble. Granted, you are in the mountains so you may not have the humidity problems that we have here in Wisconsin.

Back
Top Bottom