Need a little help with guessing the sex of these guys = )

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I've been doing the battle between " he's a boy... he's a girl, etc " ... Need a little help. Any guesses would be helpful... All Birds are about 5 months old... Pics are not the best, sorry.. If anyone wants to know.. I got the 2 silkies from Purely Poultry and I think as far as a hatchery is concerned...they had the best quality in silkies. Nice top knots, and fully feathered feet. Toes are not bad either.
    The first pic is of my Golden Laced Cochin... I am guessing BOY.. In the second pic, it includes his girlfriend (I think)...
    [​IMG]

Pair ???
    [​IMG]

This is my Buff Silkie " Syrup "... I am thinking GIRL... Not much of a comb on her...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my Splash Silkie " Pepper " .... I am thinking BOY.... Not much of a comb on him either...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    hmmm, How old? Can I have a head pic of the splash? (need to see if he has streamers)

3. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Hello, they are all about 5 months old.. I can try to get a better head shot.. they don't sit still [​IMG] One is definately crowing, but I can't catch which one it is. I am guessing the golden laced cochin.

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    your cochins both look female to me. at 8 months old the comb and wattles would be more pronounced. this is a pic of my bantam cockerel Sunny who is 8 months now.
    [​IMG]
    about 4 months old
    [​IMG]

your silkies are a little tougher. 'if it crows or lays an egg' is the saying on them!

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Ooh, ooh.. I am sorry... they are all 5 months old.. I was just corrected by my daughter. We got them the beginning of August.. Sorry..

6. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Hmm, I'm going with gals on all the Silkies (very pretty I might add) but the little Cochins ( I think that's what they are), I'll say boys. I love trying to guess other peoples but very impatient when it comes to sexing mine [​IMG]

eta I was thinking girls on the Cochins at first but didn't remember the couple that I had having combs and all but you're probably right Chickiesmama [​IMG]

7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:I am going to try to get a better head pic on the splash silkie.. The Buff I think girl.. But I am hoping the splash would be a boy, I have a nice lady for him [​IMG] I stink at guessing and I usually just wait for an egg or a crow, but.... I am getting impatient

8. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    any way to get some side shots on the cochins? it might help to see if there are some saddle and sickle feathers starting on them. the neck feathers do look roo-ish now that you tell me that. it seems that once they get to the 6-7 month range the waddles and comb start to get larger.

9. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    cochins are girls, the buff is a girl and the splash is a boy

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Here are some more shots of the Splash...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by