Need a little more guidance with my first Penicillin Injection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zephyr66, Dec 8, 2010.

1. zephyr66

zephyr66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Ramona, CA
    I've read the posts on penicillin injections, but need a bit more help as I'm very nervous about doing this. I have a Rhode Island Red hen only 9 months old who I think has a respiratory problem/infection - wheezing and in the morning almost some gurgling sounds when she breathes. Midday it seems to clear some and she perks up some, but overall is listless, eyes glassy and one night i had to take her inside as she was not able to get up on the roosting bar with the rest of her flock. This has been going on for about 4 days now.

I have penicillin I keep for my horse in the fridge. I read on BYC that I should inject 1/2 cc of penicillin for 4 days in a row. Is this agreed? I also understand I need about a 22 guage needle.

Is the breast the only place to give it to her? I'm scared I'll kill her or something. how deep into the breast should I put the needle?

Some more fine tuning on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sylvia [​IMG]

2. Iluvmychickens

Iluvmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had to give my hens injections once for 3 weeks. I would not have been able to do it if the vet tech had not shown me how first. You can give it in the breast area but you have to know exactly where by feel . It is to difficult to describe. I hope some one can help you.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  3. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Quote:I'm no expert. At all. A few months ago, my girls needed injections of LA 200 for a respiratory problem. I am really afraid of needles. I hate getting shots and what's worse than getting the shot? GIVING the shot. Luckily, the first couple times, my mom who is a nurse, was able to do it for me. But then my little brother needed attention and I had to do it. (On a small Mediterranean breed too!!) I almost fainted, I'm not going to lie. I felt around for a meaty part of her breast and took a deep breath. On the count of three, I stabbed. Chicken skin is THICK. I was using an insulin syringe, which is tiny, and the girl started to panic. I thought I had killed her. She's still here [​IMG] What helped me, I know this is against chicken pet owners' (I am own) rules, was thinking of the way a roast chicken looks. I wish you luck, and I hope your girls get better! Remember- Inject slowly.

Edited to add- Push the needle in until you are to the breast muscle.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    When i had to give my roo injections..i injected in his thigh.
    No way i was injecting in his breast.
    Injecting in the thigh worked for me.

5. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Quote:I've heard of people doing this too, but it can make them go "lame" for a couple of days.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:I've heard of people doing this too, but it can make them go "lame" for a couple of days.

I was lucky then... he was fine. Just too much risk in the breast for me. Needles freak me out as it is.. and with the crop and stuff... i was just too worried to inject in the breast.

7. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    where can you get the injectable without a script tsc I have a respiratory going through some of my flock as well

8. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    You can readily buy penicillin at tractor supply or southern states. Most feed/farm stores that service livestock owners will carry it. You don't need a prescription for it. I personally would go thigh muscle. I'd be concerned about injecting breast muscles. Also, you can get needles in different lengths. I'd go as short as possible.

9. LauraG

LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    Penicillin is THICK.. You need to make sure you have a proper gauge needle so the penicillin will inject smoothly and quickly otherwise, ......you will probablly panic, and push the plunger harder, and the needle will pop off the syringe, and the chicken will be running around with just the needle in her while you are standing there with your mouth open wondering what happened.

I am a vet tech. I know these things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by