need a modified coop design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by shouldbdiving, Nov 24, 2011.

1. shouldbdiving

shouldbdiving Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    I am in the process of building a new coop/run for my chickens. My current one only has only a small step in and out. I have bantams - two of which are silkies. I would like the coop off the ground but am not sure of their ability to walk up a ramp. One of the silkies has a bad leg and has trouble walking. I was thinking of building the main coop and a smaller secondary one on the ground for the one with the bad leg. Any thoughts or ideas? She is the low hen in the pecking order so I don't want her to get "pushed out" of her own coop & nesting box.

Thank you and happy Thanksgiving!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure she can't navigate a ramp? My four silkies do well with the ramps if they have ridges.

3. shouldbdiving

Nov 22, 2011
    The one with the injured leg, I believe it is a birth defect, can't really walk and basically hops. I am concerned that she does not have the balance or stamina to walk up a ramp. I am glad to know that the other one should not have a problem!

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

How high off the ground are you planning to build the coop (or your pop door)? My two silkies use a ramp (I made it about 10" wide, with gripper strips about every 2"), but they don't have injured legs. But even a lame bird could manage a really gradual ramp, especialy if the coop is pretty low.

5. NC ChickenKate

NC ChickenKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I have three 5 1/2 week old silkies in a flock of 9 other bantams. One is a failure to thrive and is still palm-of-your-hand size. Three weeks ago the tiny one developed a limp. Two weeks ago I opened the pop hole door during the day light time for all to inspect and eventually take the ramp to their enclosed yard. Within 5 days all nine were using the ramp up and down by themselves...they use their wings a lot getting back up into the coop. Two days ago I noticed the tiny one's limp has almost dissapeared...I believe due to the wonderful exercise she is getting.
    If you make the ramp very long (less steep) and put lots of very small cross braces/ stepping bars on it (I glued lots of small twigs to mine) I believe your special chick will be happier and stronger in the long run...she needs to be with her homies and live her chicken life as naturally as possible.
    Best to you and your chicks

6. NC ChickenKate

NC ChickenKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh I forgot to say that my coop is elevated 18 inches off the ground so the ramp from their pop hole to the ground is a bit over 3 feet long. Hope that helps

7. Italian Chicken

Italian Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2011
    Quote:WhenI made my ramp I used adhesive stair strips. From any hardware store. They are sand paper finish for traction and come in a roll or strips.

8. kota1369

kota1369 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Quote:Does anyone know if their coop has to be elivated? Mine are in a very safe place and live in a little tykes playhouse with a perch added. the perch is about 2 feet off the ground. Does it need to be higher? I was thinking of putting it up on straw bales.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

9. shouldbdiving

Nov 22, 2011
    Thanks! I am very excited to know she should be able to get up and down the ramp (without tumbling!). The sandpaper is a great idea, but how long does it last outside if it is getting wet?

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:If you have access to leftover shingles, you can just line your entire ramp with that and trim off the access. I did that with an indoor ramp and it works great. You can hose it off easily - and rain doesn't affect. it. No rungs are needed as it's very grippable already. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by