Need a new roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bustermommy, Sep 22, 2011.

1. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I had to send my roo to freezer camp this summer as he was attacking me and my daughter. Since the ladies are quarrelling a lot more (since there is no roo to keep them in line), I would like to get another one.

I have a BSL, an Ameraucana, a New Hampshire, 2 EEs, 2 Lt. Sussex (one of whom is supposed to be a roo, but I don't think it is), and a Partridge Rock.

There are Ameraucana, Blue Andalusian, Cochin, Lakenvelder, Black Minorca, BCM, BCM x (olive egger) and BR roos available on CL.

Oh yeah, and unknown breeds, with some BOs for $15 each. Somehow, I don't think so; I think I'm in a buyer's market.

Any opinions as to preferred breed for a good shot at a nice friendly guy?

ETA: More roos available!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  2. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    8. No Bumping or Cross-posting topics. Bumping is posting to move a thread up on the forum list​

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2011
  3. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    Andalusians are a good breed. I have an Andalusian pullet who's going to be laying in a few weeks, she's a great addition to our flock! [​IMG]

4. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    What's her temperament like? I really want gentle because I do not want to have another aggressive roo. I don't really make pets of mine (well, they do know their names), but they're not exactly farm animals either (I live in a large metro area and they are backyard chickens).

I'm pretty sure I also have access to a polish roo (black with a white top) unless they've gotten rid of it already.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  5. Pickaduck

Pickaduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Be wary of CL ads - lots of folks try and dump sick birds on people. Wherever you decide to get your roo from don't forget to quarantine for 30 days minimum! You don't want to have a sick roo infecting your ladies. Good luck!

6. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    I have a dog crate to quarantine him in. He won't be happy, but nobody in my little flock will die. Thanks for the thought.

7. K9ThorsMom

K9ThorsMom Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2010
    Pinellas County, FL
    Hey Bustermommy-
    Are you in FL by any chance? If so, I have a 7 month old RIR roo that needs a new home (I'm technically not allowed to have chickens where I'm at in the city, let alone a roo...He was supposed to be a she!)...If you are, then Big Red may be a match for you...he's not really agressive, thought he has come at me a few times, and has been booted across the room once...usually he will stop dead in his tracks with an "Uh Ah!" or "No!" then just eyeball you and grumble...oh, and he would be free to a home that is looking for another roo for their flock, not someone that just wanted to eat him...(and he lives in a dog crate in my house at night, and free-ranges in my yard during the day, so crating him isn't a problem...he goes right in!)

8. OwlLover

OwlLover Alaskan Wanderer

Aug 25, 2011
    Quote:All have a degree of aggression, but Nappy (that's her name) is really sweet and is only a few spots down from the pecking order. But, if you have access to Polish, you might want to check him out first. [​IMG]

9. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    I have a white crested black polish bantam roo and hes friendly with people.
    I think it kinda helps that they can't see due to their crest.
    If they have difficulty seeing you, they are less likley to attack you lol.
    Though i have found they sometimes have issues of mis-identification.
    Like mistaking brightly colored things for other roosters.
    But, he sits in are laps and hes well behaved.
    I would recommend a polish for a roo anyday!

10. bustermommy

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:Sorry, I'm in Colorado.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by