need a new vet!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Godsgrl, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Okay, a couple of hours ago, this would have been titled "FURIOUS", but I've prayed, and let go of most of my anger.

My dog developed a hematoma on his ear. I took him into the vet Friday afternoon. They said leave him overnight, and they would do the surgery. Then he could be picked up Saturday at 1pm. That would interfere with working at the zoo, but I told them okay, that was fine.

So I get there Saturday around 12:30pm, and they have a full waiting room. Sigh. They ask if I'm there to check on Reno, or pick him up. I said pick him up, as I was told he would be ready. Then they make me wait until all the dogs have been seen to tell me that Reno had not had surgery yet. [​IMG]

I told them I was late already for the zoo, and had to go. I could be back around 6pm to pick him up. They said that was fine, they needed 3 or 4 hours to take care of him. By now it was 1pm. The receptionist said repeatedly the vet would call me, and took down my cell phone number.

Off to the zoo I go, and I made a 90 minute drive in exactly an hour. How, I don't know, it must have been Divine Intervention. I get my owl and head into the zoo. The vet NEVER calls me. [​IMG] By the time I get off work, the office is closed, and the phones are off. It was 4:30pm.

So now Reno has to stay until Monday. Wanna bet they are going to charge me an extra two night's boarding for it too? I was FUMING all day today. [​IMG] When I pick Reno up Monday, it will be the last time I use that vet. There is another I can use from now on.

Anyway, I'm not so happy, and lesson learned. I should have waited until Monday to take him in, used a different vet, and should have taken him home today when they said they hadn't done the surgery. Wonder if they even did it today? [​IMG]

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Count yourself lucky. We took our 9 week old puppy in for a rattlesnake bite, and they put her in a kennel surrounded by dogs with Parvo. A week later she had it too [​IMG] They're the only vet within 120 miles, so we had to have them treat her for it. Then they presented us with a bill..

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    How awful, Cara. I am so sorry that happened to you. How do these vets get licensed? [​IMG]

4. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    There are a lot of crappy vet clinics out there it took me a month of interviews to find one I liked. Alot of people don't realize what goes on in the back. Their are alot of great clinics but a vet taking that long to do a 20 min procedure and never calling you .... [​IMG]
    That's why I work at a clinic I know exactly how my pet will be treated because I'm the one doing it.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i wouldnt pay the vet any extra money that wasnt agreed upon...from what i am understanding...they said for you to pick him later... and such and such a time was okay...they closed early....not your problem....[​IMG].....and thats what i'd tell them....i'll pay for the services agreed upon...nothing more...now..gimme my dang dog!....[​IMG]...

6. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    redhen, that is why I'm taking my dh with me-he won't let them get away with it. Thanks

7. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Nikki28, yep, that's one way to do it. A good vet with good staff is truly a gem.

8. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    I work for a vet, and I agree that's inexcusable behavior on their part. We'd never dream of doing anything like that at our clinic. I hope the new vet you've chosen is much better. And you certainly shouldn't have to pay for the extra boarding!

9. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    We are very fortunate also, our vet clinic is fantastic. Just as in any profession, you have those who care and remember why they are here and those who simply want a paycheck. I hope you find a good vet. I have 2 daughters (15 & 10) planning on being vets- I know they will do it right! The 13 yr old daughter plans on being a marine mammal behaviorist- no wonder we have so many animals!

I agree, stand your ground and don't pay for extra boarding. Just think of the extra stress your dog has had from being away from home for so long!

10. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Okay, everything is fine with Reno. I have him back today, and he is happily chewing on a new bone. [​IMG] He's quieter than usual, but otherwise is doing well. I called a friend of mine this morning, and she agreed to pick Reno up for me. Then I called the vet, and he said he'd have Reno ready to go home.

I'm afraid I really laid into the vet on the phone, something I am going to have to apologize for tomorrow. [​IMG] He apologized for the whole mess, and said it was a miscommunication, he thought I was going to call him, not that he was supposed to call me. They also charged me only for one night's boarding. So all is forgiven, and I still have a vet. Maybe I over-reacted about the whole thing. Although it was inconvenient that it wasn't done when they said it would be.

Thanks all for the empathy and suggestions. It's so hard when our kids are sick, whether they have fur or skin. Or feathers. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by