need a pen idea for a egyptian goose

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pidgey104, May 31, 2008.

1. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I have one male egyptian goose that I have to seperate from my other geese and ducks. He has been very mean lately. Dose anyone have any idea of a pen to build just for him. heres a picture of my duck pen now. I can put he's pen inside in somewhere.sorry dosent show the whole pen.

[​IMG]

2. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Ooooh, if he's an Egyptian goose you should build him a pyramid! [​IMG]

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I can't see building a whole other coop/run for one goose. I'd eat him. [​IMG]

4. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Aren't egyptian geese one of the rather smaller geese? Something the size of a dog kennel would work great, with a nice kiddy pool in the middle and you could use a dog igloo for a shelter. That is the kind of setup I have for my mandarin ducks, I could probably put 3 more pairs in it because of the size, but I have used the kennel before to house my sebastopol geese when they first came, and it worked fantastic! It was plenty big enough for about 3-4, so I'm sure it would work fine for just one goose.

I've been meaning to ask someone, how is your male egyptians attitude towards people? I heard they could get pretty mean... but I've been quite curious about them and I think it'd be neat to have one or a pair of them running around over here. [​IMG]

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..linckhillpoultry....i also bought a dog igloo for my ducks...i was wondering if it was gonna be warm enough for them in new england weather?....its not an insulated one...will it still work?..thanks..Wendy

6. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Redhen, I would definately put some straw in it, because it works nice for the ducks to crawl in and get nice and warm in it.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    okay..thanks..will they be warm enough then?...also..the pen i am gonna use is covered..with a tarp type thing..i was going to keep the water outside of the igloo..because of how messy they are with it..and i dont want the igloo getting wet in the winter time...does that sound okay?...keeping the water outside/..thanks..Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by