need a pumpkin cake recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ams3651, Nov 5, 2009.

1. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    Im trying to find a pumpkin cake recipe that doesnt start with a packaged cake mix or contains 2 cups of sugar. Our church is having a supper on saturday and I need to make a cake tomorrow. Anyone have a scratch recipe?

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Well if you can overlook the 2 cups of sugar, this is the recipe I use & it works out very well. You can substitute fresh pumpkin for the canned if you like. It works well in either a bundt pan or a rectangular pan.

Ingredients:
    2 cups white sugar
    1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 cups canned pumpkin
    4 eggs
    2 cups all-purpose flour 3 teaspoons baking powder
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 12x18 inch pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
    2. In a large bowl combine sugar and oil. Blend in vanilla and pumpkin, then beat in eggs one at a time. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in nuts. Spread batter into prepared 12x18 inch pan.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by