need a QUIET breed of ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by monster11973, Feb 23, 2013.

1. monster11973

monster11973 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    I moved back into the city limits two years ago. There aren't any real ordinances against keeping poultry in our city as long as its not creatingany problems. I'm in a newer neighborhood so I want to keep a lower profile but my ducks (females) are too noisy. I'm thinking of sending them off to freezer camp and starting over. Is there a breed that isn't as noisy as these pekins?

Thanks

2. ChicagoDucks

ChicagoDucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2012
    Chicago
    [​IMG]

Welcome to the forum!!!

Muscovies are going to be your best bet for quiet ducks--they don't make much noise at all. Pekins tend to be pretty noisy, from what I've heard.

I have campbells and rouens that I keep in our double lot in Chicago. My campbells have been a quieter than my rouens, but I have put a lot of work into getting them used to neighborhood noise and keeping them quiet and content.

Good luck with your ducks!

3. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Hi. While muscovy are quiet, they can still be heard especially when they get going. I would double check on the laws in your city, just to be sure. It is very unusual for an area in the city limits to not have something on the books about livestock or at least structures for keeping them.

If they are indeed legal, I'd talk to your neighbors first and see if they care. Ducks aren't as loud as dogs so even though they may hear them, they are doubtful to hear them inside. Since you currently have ducks, have you gotten complaints about them?

4. monster11973

monster11973 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013
    Our ordinance says all poultry be in an enclosed fence area. Basically, as long as they aren't running around the neighborhoodi am in compliance. I've had these ducks along with a few chickens and a pot bellied pig for almost two years and nobody has complained. I have a corner lot and the sidewalk is only several feet away from my fenced off side yard where I keep them. The pig grunts when someone walks by but the ducks start chattering and get noisy. I just don't want anyone thinking I have a farm in my backyard.

5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well, I'd talk to my neighbors if you know them. Only your direct neighbors, not the whole neighborhood. Also, unfortunatley, most locales don't consider ducks poultry. They are grouped under livestock or waterfowl. I hope all goes well for you. I'd cover my bases if I were you, just in case. I have heard of some places without specific ordinances inacting them after someone complains. If you are able to get something in writing now that your animals aren't a problem then they would not be able to do anything in the long run.

Unless you are wanting to switch breeds, after 2 years I don't know that I'd be too concerned but you do always need to worry about the nosy neighbor or the new neighbor.

Computer was acting up earlier so now: [​IMG]

6. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Our ducks are noisy when they want something or when something is amiss.

The Welsh Harlequin is pretty quite though. As are 3 of 4 of the runners. one is a real loud mouth.

7. Jmanvanatta

Jmanvanatta Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    I will asume freezer camp means culling them. Why do that when you could sell them to someone who could find joy in them?

8. monster11973

monster11973 New Egg

Feb 23, 2013

I bought them as a breeding set for eggs and meat. They haven't layed a single egg and I love roast duck. I would enjoy them. :)

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm right there with you. I raise mine for meat. Yummy!!!

10. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    If you like roast duck, then switch to Muscovys - quiet and productive (eggs - meat - babys) I had Pekins and Muscovys and sent all the Pekins to Freezer camp - just too loud for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by