need a rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by guardian1, May 31, 2008.

1. guardian1

guardian1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2008
    on the road
    hi everybody! i'm new here. i live in west michigan with my wife and three boys, four dogs and three cats. with the way the economy is here and the cost of liing going up, we've been looking at doing things to save money. we have a garden this year for the first time and with the way the boys love eggs, we've been thinking about getting some chickens that can lay some eggs for us and maybe eat one of them once in awhile. i've heard that you have to have a rooster in order for the hens to lay eggs, but i've also heard that you don't. i really don't want to listen to all that crowing. so, anyways, if someone could tell me if i need a rooster or not for the hens to lay would be great. and if someone could recommend a certain breed of chicken for laying eggs would be great too!

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    You do not need a rooster to get eggs. If you do not want a rooster, you do not need one. It's an old wive's tale.

You know all those eggs you buy at the grocery store? Those factory farms do not keep roosters.

Leghorns are some of the best when it comes to a ton of white eggs on the minimal amount of feed. They lay the white eggs you get from the store. Rhode Island Reds are a popular laying hen. LOL. It would probably be best if you look around at the different breeds and then posted asking whether the list of breeds you like the look of are good for egg-laying.

-Kim

3. guardian1

May 24, 2008
    on the road
    i don't really care what they look like, just so long as they lay eggs. maybe it's because i'm a truck driver and i see the cost of fuel going up and in turn everything we buy goes up. i just want to be able to reduce my costs to help offset the rising cost of living. last week i went to one of the cheapest places to get fuel and it cost $940 to fill the truck, and that will only last a day and a half. besides, i know my boys will love having chickens. they love animals and they really love eggs!

4. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Actually, it may not be cost effective to have chickens. Before everybody freaks out, let me explain.
    For a new chicken owner, you will need to buy chicks, chick feed, a waterer, a heat lamp, some sort of bedding (paper towels, wood chips, whatever). Then when they are feathered out, you need a coop, predator proofing, layer feed, more bedding, and they won't lay for a few months yet. If you add all that up, it could be more than you spend on eggs. Obviously, the more chickens you have the faster you can recoup (ha!) the money you spent. not to discourage anybody, I'm sure you could get some of the items you need used, on sale, improvise, etc. If you want chickens, I say they are worth it for the entertainment value alone, but I'm not sure it will really save $. However the nutritional value & flavor of your eggs will definately increase!

5. guardian1

May 24, 2008
    on the road
    i'm thinking long term. i know it's gonna cost me up front and that's ok. part of it is i know my boys will like helping take care of them. they really love to feed and water our cats and dogs and they would have a blast getting the eggs. we also live on a busy road and were thinking about selling the extra eggs to help pay for feed, etc.

6. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Long term... then go for it. There's a ton of info on this site to get you started. i know it's helped me a great deal. Let us know what breed & how many, and of course pictures1

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If your boys are gonna help with the chickens, be sure and get a gentle breed. Leghorns are prized for their eggs, but they are not considered a gentle breed, by any means. Yes, some will argue that point with me, but I stand by it.
    Welcome to the forum.

8. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

You would also not want to ever eat a Leghorn. You would be hard pressed to find even a tiny bit of meat there!

A dual purpose breed like a Plymouth Rock, in any number of colors, would probably be better for you.

Pic's of TONS of breeds here:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKChickensA-C.html

All the info you'll ever need about everything else is here on BYC. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Congrats on your thoughts of getting chickens. I can tell you from what I have currently, with children, The Black Australorps, Silver-laced Wyandottes, Ameraucana are really sweet. The Brahmas are gentle sweeties too. All of these breeds are cold hardy breeds too.

Good luck with your choices.

10. guardian1

May 24, 2008
    on the road
    just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted. i have to get in the truck and go to georgia, so i'll look at the chickens when i get back. thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by