Need a showoff or expert Cornish cross question

kizanne

Songster
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
so I know a cornish cross goes through about 15 pounds of feed for their life but....

Really looking to know how much per day for the chick during the first two week of life (which I assume to be smaller than the standard 4 oz/day)

If you kept records for your cornish raising I could get this number if you tell me how many chicks and how long the first 50# bag of feed took to eat.

Any good info would be appreciated.

Or you could use the handy little chart Welp has.... http://www.welphatchery.com/cornish_rock.asp

copy and paste that (cuz I'm not good at the word link thing)....it's a good way to see what they expect day by day as the weeks go on, and so far seems pretty accurate to the birds I am raising from them
smile.png

ok so now that is a little embarrassing.. I'm getting ready to get meaties. Want to up the protein of my organic 19% feed by adding live mealworms at 48% protein and was trying to esitimate how many per chick I would need.

The embarassing part is I was on Whelp this morning and saw this chart when looking at who I was going to order from Whelp, mcmurray, cackle, schelt, etc.....

But when I needed the info I totally forgot that it was there.

Thanks!!!!

LOL...it's okay
smile.png
I just know it's kinda nifty to look at and compare my chicks to (they came from Welp too). So far, so good. Everything is pretty close to what they show on there too!

Kizanne, don't sweat not having 20% protein unless you ar trying to meet a concrete deadline. I worried myself silly with 19 vs 20 pct protein back in March and April when I was a newbie. My "research" kept me thinking that 20 pct protein was a must or I was gonna be screwed. Our feed ended up being a 19, and I was worried, so I supplemented enough fish meal to get it up to 20 pct. Well, by the time we were ready to process at the end of May to be ready for our first saturday at the farmer's market, we had some birds dress out at 6 lbs at 7.5 weeks old! We were shooting for a 4-4.5lb range. Now, not all the birds hit the 5-6lb range, but the extra protein was not needed. The other ingredients are what is important, especially the micronutrients (stuff that Kelp meal and crab shell would provide), and the vitamins and chloropyll that they get from pasture.

Thanks for the words of advice Matrix. This is my first run and I'm actually torn. I know the lower protein will slow them down some but they will be healthier which sounds good to me. But I have mealworms that I grow so I thought how many of these would I need to bump it up to 20% just the first week or two. I look at it as a fun treat and healthy natural food for them plus it helps me feel good about the $30 I spent starting the mealworm farm 4 months ago. LOL

I know my current hens love the little treat I give them daily and so far their egg production is pretty good ranging 9 to 11 eggs a day for 11 girls. Now that winter is getting here I have a couple days of 8 eggs, but I expected 8 everyday when I just read.

What does that have to do with anything. I think happy healthy birds will always surprise you with the returns. While I intend to butcher and eat those yummy little meaties, they will be happy well cared for pets until week 8 then they will be yummy well cooked and enjoyed dinner
smile.png

It is nice to know you got good results with 19% because that is my base feed and at 3 weeks that is what they will get except for what they can range for.

Just curious. You consider anyone who knows what they are talking about and answers your questions to be a showoff? That seems a bit ungrateful of you. It certainly doesn't give me much motivation to help you.

Quote:
Orgegon Please feel free not to help me as I find this response to be very troll like. This thread hasn't been used since I got a helpful answer earlier in the week. I was simply trying to imply you didn't have to be an expert to answer the question you could show me your knowledge on the subject. I received a very helpful answer already as you could see if you read the thread. I thanked them for the answer. If seems you are just looking for an excuse to be offended. Well this post is your excuse not the title!

I'm sure I'll have several more questions as I'm getting my first meat birds Dec. 7th and I'm sure there are plenty of people with knowledge who can answer those questions. This forum is a great resource, however anyone offended by the question feel free not to answer them as it is all volunteer information anyway. Usually asked and given in a community manner.

Quote:
Orgegon Please feel free not to help me as I find this response to be very troll like. This thread hasn't been used since I got a helpful answer earlier in the week. I was simply trying to imply you didn't have to be an expert to answer the question you could show me your knowledge on the subject. I received a very helpful answer already as you could see if you read the thread. I thanked them for the answer. If seems you are just looking for an excuse to be offended. Well this post is your excuse not the title!

I'm sure I'll have several more questions as I'm getting my first meat birds Dec. 7th and I'm sure there are plenty of people with knowledge who can answer those questions. This forum is a great resource, however anyone offended by the question feel free not to answer them as it is all volunteer information anyway. Usually asked and given in a community manner.

Some people have nothing better to do than cry and complain and just be rude
somad.gif
idunno.gif
rant.gif
.. I had the same thing happen to me when I first joined this site.. Don't pay attention to the miserable people on here.. There are plenty of us that will help you in any way we can.. I myself still have a ton to learn but will answer whatever questions I can.. Good luck with your meaties
welcome-byc.gif

So for any of the mealworm farmers...

To bring it up 1% the following is what I calculated... per chick for 1%

The first week they would need an average of 9 worms a day. so I'm gonna start with the 4th day giving them 2 a day and work up to 9 a day on day 7.

The second week they need and average an 15 worms a day .

Day 1 and 2 is in shipping
Day - Worms
3- starter only
4- 2 worms
5 - 4 worms
6 - 6 worms
7 - 9 worms
8 - 9 worms
9- 10 worms
10 - 11 worms
11 - 12 worms
12 - 13 worms
13 - 14 worms
14 - 15 worms

after this point they will receive worms as treats to encourage movement

I'm not too worried about getting exactly 20% but I farm mealworms so I will use them to boost up to 20% from 19%

Back
Top Bottom