Need a translator

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by columbiacritter, Sep 14, 2008.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    What does roostre growling mean?

My roo walks around making a growling gurgling noise sometimes. It's not trouble breathing, it's definitely a sound he's choosing to make. The hens ignore him, but my husband wants to know if it's an aggressive noise.

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    HAHA....my roo does that trying to get his ladies attention!!

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]!

Roosters (and chickens in general) make all sorts of interesting sounds. Is there any sort of body posture he makes when he does this sound? It may give you another clue as to what he means.

4. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    He's pretty much spherical so he doesn't have a lot of body posture to speak of. [​IMG][​IMG] He's a pure white Cochin we've nicknamed the StayPuft Marshmallow chicken.

The only thing that's consistent when he's growling is he's alert and paying attention to his surroundings rather than vegged out.

If he's doing it to get the girls attention it's not working because they completely ignore him 99% of the time when they not evading his hot stud muffin rooster moves. [​IMG]

This guy barely raises his head to crow unlike my Dutch bantams who stretch out their whole bodies to yell as loud as they can.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    So he doesnt move much but makes sexy low noises? My friends, I do believe this is the Barry White of Roosterhood!

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

He probably sees something that he thinks is worth the girls noting like a pred or something unusual so he becomes alert and "growls"

7. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    Whenever something falls from the sky IE a leaf or a branch (or a bird) they howl like wolves! IS THIS NORMAL! SHOULD I QUARANTINE!

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Funny you should ask this today, I was outside playing with the baby ducks and all the chickens started doing a wierd growl, hens and roos too. I was going to post asking about it but you saved me the trouble! LOL thanks!

9. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    If he's trying to alert anybody is isn't working. The girls never even look up when he's growling. They usually just stand and watch the hawks circle if they even notice. [​IMG]

I'm thinking he's trying to sound studly.

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Barry White of Chickens & Stay-Puf Marshmellow Chicken-- you guys crack me up. . . . .[​IMG] "You'll never find, as long as you live, a Roo who loves you, tender like I do!!! . . . . ."[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by