Need A Volunteer!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by BirdBoy88, Jan 3, 2009.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    To make a thread on how to process quail.. ( Coturnix )
    With Photos to show step by step on how to do it.

We have a thread on how to do Chickens now we need one for quails
    and for those first timers like myself who hasn't done it yet we have heard from every corner on how to do it but it makes it MUCH easier to see it on photo don't you think?

So do we have any Volunteers who are willing to do this for all us first timers??? [​IMG]

2. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    If someone wants to put pictures to this they can. I don't have any quail to butcher right now. When I do I can whip out the camera:

Hold the quail firmly around the midsection with one hand. Place your pointer and middle fingers below the jaw line to stretch out the neck. Once stretched, use a sharp pair of kitchen scissors to snip the head off. The scissors will cut clean through on the first try, spine and all. This is the miniature version of taking an axe to the head.

After cutting the head off, let the blood drain out (which takes less than a minute), clip the wings and work your finger into the wing hole between the flesh and the skin. With a little effort it will peel right off for you. The first few times are a hassle, but with practice you can usually peel it all off in one piece.

Once you have the skin off, cut a small hole beneath the breastbone with the scissors and pull out the innards using one or two fingers as a scoop.

Immediately put the meat in the fridge to cool. The meat will age better and become more tender if allowed to be in the freezer for a few days. Quail will keep for up to nine months in the freezer without any noticable change in taste and texture.

Side note: If you do want the skin saved, you can either dry pluck or boil the quail for ten seconds - be careful not to overboil. Plucking is pretty easy, which is a blessing and a bane: the feathers come out fine but the skin is delicate and tears.

Edited to be slightly more descriptive.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  3. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Realistically processing most animals is about the same. Processing a Rabbit or a deer are almost the same, except that the deer takes longer and you have more cuts of meat available.

In the same way from quail to turkey there is not too much difference.

Also check this site out for a way you may not have heard of but I am going to try the next time I have reason to: http://www.rogueturtle.com/articles/chicken.php

4. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    It's similar, but each animal has its own little tricks. Quail are boiled for far less time than chickens, and ducks are a helluva lot different than chickens when you get down to the little details.

5. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I have no idea how to do it-- but would love to know how it tastes. I'm thinking of adding some quail to the barnyard next year.

6. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    That's why i say it would be great to have one of these threads

each animal may be similar in the processing but there are some different things to it and i know this idea will help everyone in the long run don't you think? [​IMG]

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    If only PP was here, she knew a lot about processing quail. Purple Chicken also knows a lot about it try asking him.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:i miss PP!...[​IMG]...

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    PP is with us...in spirit.

10. redhen