Need a way to attach welded wire to cattle panels and to itself

YellowChicken

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Am considering:
1) Metal tie wraps - very expensive.
2) Plastic tie wraps - I've got raccoons here that would chew right thru these I believe.
3) 3/8" Loxit rings (or C rings or pig rings) - don't appear that they close down tight, especially on welded wire to welded wire.
4) J-clips - I don't know if these would be big enough for the welded wire to the cattle panels?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
I've used zip ties for years to tie fencing together. I've never seen a raccoon that could chew threw them. As for hog rings not closing down tight, if the gap they leave is smaller than the fencing you are using then it doesn't matter. I use hog rings a lot for fence doors and predator skirts as shown here:

The zip ties I use on the end where I want a tight no yielding connection and hog rings along the bottom where the arch and predator skirt meet. This lets the skirt to be lifted up to the arch when I want to move. I'm sure both will hold, but if you are unsure, use zip ties to put it together and the come back and twist regular wire with pliers for security.

I've used zip ties for years to tie fencing together. I've never seen a raccoon that could chew threw them. As for hog rings not closing down tight, if the gap they leave is smaller than the fencing you are using then it doesn't matter. I use hog rings a lot for fence doors and predator skirts as shown here:

The zip ties I use on the end where I want a tight no yielding connection and hog rings along the bottom where the arch and predator skirt meet. This lets the skirt to be lifted up to the arch when I want to move. I'm sure both will hold, but if you are unsure, use zip ties to put it together and the come back and twist regular wire with pliers for security.

So this looks pretty mobile and easy. What is it made of and how long is it? Thanks

Hog rings work well but you can also just buy or use some old wire and just wrap it 3xs and twist and snip.

Thanks for the help. I've had raccoons here chew thru a 3/4" particle board floor to get to some horse feed. The cattle panels are 4 awg which is about .207 inches thick and the 14 awg wire is about .064" thick. So together about .292. The smallest hog ring has a gap of .375 or 3/8 inches. This would leave about .083 inch over size. But that would be fine for the aprons. Is it just about as easy to user regular pliers for hog rings? And has anyone tried the J clips for cattle panel to welded wire? Also heard that the plastic tie wraps will break down or get brittle after about a year?

I would use zip tie to hold it together and the do as organick suggested. Use wire to tie everything down tight. Depending on what type of zip tie you're using on how fast they degrade. Unless it's dimensional lumber, I've never consider wood products as a barrier. Particle board is an open door.

I'm gonna get the small hog rings for sure. Do I also need the speciall pliers, or will regular plier work about as well?
I've seen a couple types of the zip ties: white electrical type and black automotive type. All in different sizes. Which are best?

Actually the particle board they chewed thru is almost an inch. I replaced it with 3/4" plywood, so will see what happens.

I would cover anything that's not wire, that a raccoon can get to, with hardware cloth. Over time they will chew thru wood. I would use small zip ties to hold things together until I was sure everything was the way I wanted it and then come back with wire and tie up everything for good.

Back
Top Bottom