Need a wiring guru

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DRAGGINZUZU, Nov 22, 2010.

1. DRAGGINZUZU

DRAGGINZUZU Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Im in the mood to build a better bator than the one I have. What Im trying to do now is wire a turn motor. Its a small motor that says 21v ac on it. I know 110v come out of the wall plug. How do I wire i up so it wont burn up. Do I need a what?? I have no idea. I stuck the wires directly into a wall socket and it turns.and if I everse the wires it goes the other way . but I figured it will burn up if left like that. Can anybody shed some light on this or send me a link to a site to explain.. Its a motor from a microwave turntable. 2.5/3 rpm I have the microwave should it have something that drops the volts down? If Im searching in the wrong area tell me to throw out the idea..Im trying to make an egg turner on the cheap.
    Thanks Tony

2. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Tony what you need is a "step-down" transformer to reduce the voltage from 110V AC to 21V AC. If you have an electrical supply company in your area they may have one. If you are into "freecycling" you may find a junk landscape lighting system that uses low-voltage AC current. The transformer from one of those would work. Basicly any AC transformer that gives an output voltage between 18 and 24 V AC will work as long as the amp load rating will carry the fans load.

Larry

3. dirtsaver

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Tony I forgot to add that you can use the transformer from the microwave. Just find which terminals or wires are the 110V input and attatch a power cord to those. Then...using utmost care...use a volt-meter and find the terminals or leads that give you the 21V output. Atattch your wiring from the fan and timer(if used) to those output leads and you should be good to go.

note: As with any project that involves electricity,there are safety rules,checks and balances that MUST be followed! The above is a short answer to Tony's question and does not attempt to cover the full procedure for the process of wiring this equipment. If you do not have the proper tools and test equipment or do not feel completely comfortable working with electricity DO NOT attempt this work. Even household current CAN KILL YOU.

4. DRAGGINZUZU

DRAGGINZUZU Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    Thanks Larry. Ill start looking for the step down transformer. I guess I need to wire in a limit switch and something to reverse the polarity? and a timer for every 4 hrs.This might be more of a scavenger hunt and would probably be better off buying a turner for a sportsman, But Being the frugal guy I am I cant see spending 130$ for a turner.

5. dirtsaver

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Quote:Tony it's been a while since I've worked with a setup like you're making but yep,a limit switch will be needed as well as a switch or relay to reverse the direction of the motor and turner. The limit switch should be fairly easy to find..I've taken them out of all sorts of older appliances(older ones from the 1960's and 70's). You may have to buy the relay. Check "digi-key" for any componets like that. They have a huge catalog and website of hounreds of thousands of electrical componets of all types.

Larry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by